Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
28424515

I took my nuvaring out a week too early. Should I just put

I took my nuvaring out a week too early. Should I just put a new one in 7 days later ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 3 years ago.

Hello! My name isXXXXX and I will be happy to assist you today.

My guess is that you are having bleeding now (a withdrawal bleed). Yes, I would proceed with putting the nuva ring back in 1 week after you removed it and make sure to use back up birth control over the next cycle. Don't be alarmed if you have a bit of irregular bleeding as your cycle will be readjusting to the new nuva ring schedule.

Take care :)

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I am not bleeding at all I should take it out next week and I has intercourse last night with my husband is there a chance?

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 3 years ago.
When did you take the nuva ring out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thursday the 21st
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 3 years ago.

Ah ok. Well then yes, there could be a chance of pregnancy. You can consider taking Plan B which is available over the counter in pharmacies-- it is most effective when taken right after having sex and up to about 72 hours after (although you can take it up to 5 days out). So what I would recommend is that if you do not desire pregnancy and you just had sex to proceed with taking Plan B and then replace the new nuva ring. You will likely have irregular bleeding for a bit and over the next couple of cycles your bleeding will regulate. Take a pregnancy test 3 weeks after this episode of intercourse to insure you are not pregnant. Also, make sure to use back up protection over the next month.

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ

Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Accomplished Physician and Educator