Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator

I took my nuvaring out a week too early. Should I just put

I took my nuvaring out a week too early. Should I just put a new one in 7 days later ?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.

Hello! My name isXXXXX and I will be happy to assist you today.

My guess is that you are having bleeding now (a withdrawal bleed). Yes, I would proceed with putting the nuva ring back in 1 week after you removed it and make sure to use back up birth control over the next cycle. Don't be alarmed if you have a bit of irregular bleeding as your cycle will be readjusting to the new nuva ring schedule.

Take care :)

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No I am not bleeding at all I should take it out next week and I has intercourse last night with my husband is there a chance?

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.
When did you take the nuva ring out?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thursday the 21st
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.

Ah ok. Well then yes, there could be a chance of pregnancy. You can consider taking Plan B which is available over the counter in pharmacies-- it is most effective when taken right after having sex and up to about 72 hours after (although you can take it up to 5 days out). So what I would recommend is that if you do not desire pregnancy and you just had sex to proceed with taking Plan B and then replace the new nuva ring. You will likely have irregular bleeding for a bit and over the next couple of cycles your bleeding will regulate. Take a pregnancy test 3 weeks after this episode of intercourse to insure you are not pregnant. Also, make sure to use back up protection over the next month.

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ