Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

All of a sudden my vagina smells like rotten meat. NOT fishy.

All of a sudden my vagina smells like rotten meat. NOT fishy. I have NO other symptoms.... NO pain with sex, NO unusual discharge or forgotten tampon. NO itching or discomfort while peeing. I've NEVER used a douche and haven't changed my soap. I'm very hygienic but not overly so. I have NOT changed my diet and have NOT started or stopped any medications. What could this be?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
This is usually due to a vaginal change in your pH level - and this can be from semen changing the vaginal pH and this is then there is an over growth of your NORMAL vaginal bacteria - this is called Bacterial VAginosis (BV) - so this is nothing that is really bad - and you can treat with an over the counter product such as RepHresh cream, and if this does not work you will need to get a prescription to either Flagyl or Cleocin from your doctor.

I hope this helps, if you have more questions, please ask, and Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated for my time and service to you, thank you very much.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you! Just a side question..... I have been with the same guy (and only him) for 3 years. He is however in the navy and travels frequently over seas. I will make an appointment to see a gyno Monday but need some peace of mind that it most likely is NOT an STD. Thanks again!
Very unlikely this is a STD - by the way, was Navy.
Take are and Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks! Going to med school myself for orthopedics! ;) your the best!