Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
28424515

How long does it (on average) take semen to dry in a condom

Customer Question

How long does it (on average) take semen to dry in a condom? And/or - how long until a condom should be "crispy" on the inside... instead of the outside? Thanks a million!!!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.

Hello! My name isXXXXX and I will be happy to assist you today.

This is a tough question to answer because this would all depend on the environment that the semen was in. For example, if there was a lot of semen this would obviously take longer than a small amount to dry out. It can take up to days for this to occur and there is no way to say "exactly" how long would be appropriate. It would also depend on the type of condom it was in and how tightly it was sealed. . .again, there are no studies I am aware of that have tested this reliably.

If your concern is sperm living. . .sperm can live for a couple of days. Outside of the body, they can only live for about an hour or so but if the semen is wet this lifespan can be extended.

Hope you found this helpful. . .I'm not quite sure how to better answer your question because there is no data on it.

Take care. Please click accept for my time. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
To further clarify: The condom was open, IE: OFF the respective package and on the floor, no care taken - it was not tied in a knot, and was in no other way "sealed" in any form or fashion. It appears with the usual use on the outside (IE: dry and spotted - as though it has been a bit of a while since intercourse), however, and OF NOTE: There is still 1/4" to 1/2" of semen on the inside, (being less-than-generous- 1/4 of an inch (average - there is at least liquid semen in 1/4 of an inch of the condom - when flattened and pinched with one's finger-tips). So, to clarify, I ask: A.) Is this typical within 5-PLUS days of intercourse...? and, B.) is this amount of semen expected after a week or more without intercourse - IN AN UNSEALED / UNKNOTTED CONDOM? - after a week or more of intercourse, in a person who typically fills approximately only the tip of a condom during normal - and sporadic (1x/month) ejaculation)? Thanks a million, again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
A. Yes, this is not uncommon. B. Yes, this would not be an unusual amount to find. It would depend on the person's masturbation habits as well, but this could be normal.
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.

1) yes I would say that is typical... by 5 days+ the sperm should be mostly dead (over 90% of them)

2) Yes, this amount of semen is normal for a healthy male.

Please click GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I receive credit for my time

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
! Even after you accept, you can ask follow up questions! Thank you!

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
justanswer.com leaves no option for follow-up questions once "Accept Answer" has been submitted. I am honestly hoping you can clarify. I would rather pay you than pay for a DNA test to clarify this (possibly) germane, yet VERY pointed question.
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.

It's very hard to clarify this question mainly because I can't be more specific. . .let me see if this will help:

A: At 5+ days after intercourse, it is still possible to have some liquid semen inside a condom that has been left open on a floor.

B: This is considered a normal amount of semen. . .I don't think it is unusual.

Is there anything else that I can clarify?