Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My period is a week early, bright red, and heavy.

My period is a week early, it is bright red, and very heavy. What does that mean?
Are your periods usually regular? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My periods are almost always 28 days apart. My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for the past month.
Most often, when there is bleeding early, it means that you didn't ovulate before your last period. When you don't ovulate, you can still get a period, but the uterine lining doesn't clean off, and then more bleeding can occur later. Since you'd like to get pregnant, I would see your doctor. A blood test for progesterone will determine if you've ovulated this month, since progesterone only rises after ovulation. If you're not ovulating regularly, your doctor can give you Clomid pills to induce ovulation each month. Sometimes we find a reason for not ovulating, such as stress, but often we don't find a reason. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Most of the time my period is dark in color. This time it looks and smells like blood. Would you still suggest that it might be the same thing? Is this something I should see a doctor about today or can it wait until Tuesday?
I think it looked and smelled different because it wasn't a real period, but rather bleeding from extra buildup of the uterine lining. I think it can wait until Tuesday, unless the bleeding is too heavy. If you stay off your feet, bleeding will generally be less, regardless of the cause.