Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

I have paper cut like vaginal tears in my vaginal area, mostly

I have paper cut like vaginal tears in my vaginal area, mostly vulva, now one just appeared on the perreinium (sp). They started last Friday. I had thought I was getting a yeast infection last Wed & Thurs (itching & white discharge) and then these started on Friday. I Monday I went to my gyno and he immediately said herpes and took samples and cultures and all that to have tested. He wont have an answer for me till Friday. Everything I have researched on vaginal tears/vulva tears on the internet has not said anything about herpes. He gave me Zovirax cream and pills. The cream burns when I apply it, to the point of I nearly want to faint because it takes my breath away. Online info about herpes says it starts w/ blisters and then turns to sores within a few days. I have not had any blisters or sores, just these tears and they hurt of course because it is raw skin. I have a lot of swelling and have been sleeping with an icepack applied to that area. I get shooting pains every once in a while and I've totally lost my appetite. I'm consuming large amounts of water so that when I urinate it does not burn on the open tears. Now this morning it appeared I may have blood in my urine. After I urinated the toilet water was a bit pinkish, the last three times I've gone. I hoping and praying that it is not herpes or any other type of transmittable disease, but I would like to know WTH is wrong with me and be able to start treating that issue because this is absolute hell. My gyno seemed bound and determined that it is herpes. Any thoughts?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 3 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-5bqqlvtv; I think your gynecologist is wrong. Cracks and fissure of the vulva and perineum is classical for vaginal yeast. It may not be the common Candida albicans type that causes the cheesy discharge. Herpes requires a recent (48-72 hours) exposure to someone shedding the virus. It causes initial stinging, burning, redness;, then pimples that become blisters and intense local pain as well as swollen regional lymph glands. Often there is fever and malaise,Your bottom doesn`t sound like Herpes. Either get a second opinion or do this; Stop the Zovirax cream and the tablets.Get any of several OTC vaginal anti-yeast creams and insert daily for 7 days. Get any OTC cortisone cream, maximum strength, and apply externally as often as you need.Use mild soaps when bathing. Soaking tubs are not a good idea,showering is better.Stop the vinegar and baking soda.Stop neosporin, it is for bacterial skin inflammations. Good luck
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so I am game to try OTC cortisone cream, anyone in particular? And is it hydrocoritsone cream? At this point I'm willing to try anything it hurts so bad.
Yes, try hydrocortisone 5 or hydrocorisone 10 or Cortaid. Hurry up!
If you have no further questions, please click on "accept"
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, I have been very busy at work and didnt get a chance to get back on here. AND Ive been very stressed about the fact that my gyno called me late yesterday afternoon and told me I tested positive for herpes. It just blows me away because I never had any blisters or sores. I had itchiness, air bubbles and discharge as if I had a yeast infection and then these slits. I'm totally dumbfounded. Nothing I have looks anything like the pictures I've seen on line of herpes cases. I have been seeing this gyno for 16 yrs and have always been very happy with him and his care. I just really can not believe that I have herpes. He said the results show that I have antibodies showing as if I have had the virus for years, not that I just recently contracted it. How is that possible then that I just now had an outbreak? I'm confused, upset and distraught because I have to tell my husband to get tested and he will think that I've been unfaithful. I'm totally lost.
The gold standard for the diagnosis of Herpes is a positive culture form a blister or other lesion . The earth is coated with the Herpes virus and 65% or more of all adults have Herpes antibodies. The ONLY way to tell whether those antibodies represent a current or distant infection is by repeating the antibody titer two weeks apart. Those are called acute and convalescent titers. If there is a significant drop from the present titer to a test two weeks later,that would suggest that what you have is Herpes. But it is only suggestive .A culture is the only proof. You may be a Herpes carrier for many, many years without an obvious outbreak until now.That is a possibility,but again, only a culture tells the actual facts. What the doctor meant,but apparently does not understand, is that the titer proves nothing about your present discomfort. Unless you have a positive culture, you can avoid telling your husband something that may not be true. Perhaps a second opinion is needed. Be well
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for answering me. I appreciate your advise and responses. I have taken your advise and have just finished the 3 day Monistat last night and today I'm trying the Cortisone 10 and I can tell you that it was less painful to apply. I have noticed that the cuts seems to be healing a bit and I'm not in as much discomfort today as I have been for the last week. And the best news is there doesn't seem to be anything new appearing. Hopefully I'm on the road to recovery. It freaked me out when I read that an outbreak of herpes can take up to a four weeks to heal. I don't think I could have handled 3 wks more of this. At this point my husband believes that I have a bacterial infection that the doctor is treating w/ nightly suppository medicine. I had asked my gyno to give me the paperwork to have my husband tested for herpes along w/ all the other STD's out there just so that we can see if he is also a carrier. But I told my husband that the dr had suggested he be tested for everything at the same time I was being tested because he was unsure of what exactly I had. And I'm requesting that when my gyno not tell my husband that I had an outbreak of herpes and that if his results also come back positive (which I'm guessing they would if mine showed that I've had the virus for yrs and we've been together for 19 yrs) that he be very explicit in explaining that his results show that he has had it for yrs as well (if that is the case) so that he understands this isn't something I just got. He will not believe me if I tell him that I tested positive for herpes and that Ive had it for years unless he is given the same results and knows that he has never had an outbreak. Do you think it will be ok for me to be in my pool this weekend or should I avoid the water? Is it likely that I should expect to experience another outbreak? Do people ever just have one and then never again or not for years? If they do have more outbreaks how long do they generally last? I so appreciate everything from you you have been wonderful.
The swimming pool`s OK, no special precautions except to sharing of towels. I would not expect further outbreaks.When Herpetic recurrences happen, they always occur in the exact same location,never somewhere else. Recurrences can be like milder initial outbreaks or can be very mild,occasionally nothing more than a few days of mild itching,always in the same spot. You did not address my challenge of the diagnosis by blood alone. It is insufficient. I have no criticism of STD testing for either one of you,whether absolutely necessary or not,except for the time and expense. Your blood tests do not show that you have had the virus "for years",only that you have been exposed at some time in the past. And,finally, some people do have one outbreak and never again. Once again, your description of the fissures and cracks are not seen with Herpes. If you are feeling especially generous, add on a bonus. Be well
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, he did take a culture of one of the cuts. But truthfully I did not ask him if he was stating I have the virus based on the culture or just the blood test alone. Time for the blood testing was not an issue it was a walk in and out, 10 minutes max and my insurance will pay for all of the testing. My husband only took the blood test yesterday so he will not be notified until some time next week. And truthfully I hope his results show that he has the virus as well so that I can not give it to him, he already has it. IF it does show that he has it do I have to worry if in the future I have one of these small cracks and obstain from sex because of it? I have had small individual cuts in the past and w/ some neosproin and a few days they have gone away, never any itching and never anything like this. I'm hoping and praying you are correct in thinking that this was not a herpes outbreak and I am hoping and praying that if it was that I never do have another outbreak this has been miserable and very mentally draining. I've read that taking daily doses of Lysine has been effective in people w/ herpes as to helping w/ recurrences. I've also read about a few products on herpes.com, Red Marine Algae, Vir-L-Lysine, H-Balm and Aerua. Are these any products that you have heard of and if you have is there any validity to the claims of help? Thank you again so much and of course I will add a bonus.
Please get the culture results,they are the only pertinent facts. The only two OTC supplements that are of value, potentially are lysine and citrus bioflavinoids. All the rest are worthless. If you have Herpes, so does he,even if he never has had an outbreak. Some carriers never get an outbreak. Therefore you two are in a stable state. Nevertheless, if the culture grew Herpes from a crack, you abstain until the cracked heals.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help.
You are welcome;be well
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, so now I'm even more confused. My gyno called my husband and told him that all of his results came back normal. I called the gyno back and asked how it is possible that I have herpes 2 and have had it that my husband does not have it? Then where did I get it and how can I have not given it to him in 19 yrs? He just said I just haven't passed it on to him yet. He said that he is still waiting for my culture results but more than likely the first test will come back negative and will have to do another one in a few weeks and that more than likely that culture test result will come back saying that I also have herpes SV1. How can another culture be done if I don't have any cuts, sores or whatever? Ok, so none of the symptoms I had were anything like what I've researched on-line and I'm completely healed in less than 12 days and yet everything online says it takes weeks to heal. I have no cuts or soreness left and I believe it is all due to the monistat & the Coritisone 10 ointment. I'm about to lose my mind because I'm afraid of giving herpes to my husband if this has been an actual outbreak but I'm also afraid to tell him that I have it if in fact I really do not have it. I'm just so confused. My husband and I have a totally rocky relationship and he will believe that I have been unfaithful and assume that I got this from being unfaithful. I don't want to cause anymore undue stress to our relationship but then again I'm just so lost. I promise I will add another $25 on to this when you respond and I can push the "accept answer" button.

Now, darling, just calm down. The blood tests mean nothing to you or your husband. And it doesn`t matter whether you have a titer for type 1 or type 2. The presence of antibodies in the blood only mean that your immune system had to deal with an exposure to HSV at sometime in your past. You don`t have to have had sores for a positive titer to be present. False negative culture results are common because once the blisters start to dry up there is not enough live virus to harvest to grow in culture. An attempt to culture HSV from normal skin will always fail.But just suppose for a moment,that you have had an outbreak in your past and didn`t know it,then you would have transferred it to your husband many times over the years and he is immune to the virus. So,your marriage is just as it was before all these cracks appeared. Don`t waste your time with another culture if you do not have an open sore or blister. I think you had yeast and the book is closed.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)