Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Assistant Professor of OB/GYN with 40 years of experience treating patients. Fellow of The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.

What is a subendometrial cyst I had a travns-vaginal ultrasound

What is a subendometrial cyst? I had a travns-vaginal ultrasound and the report says I have one which is .25 cm. Does this cause miscarriage? I had a chemical pregnancy two weeks ago. Thank you for your help!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Alan Gibstein, M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-ok2tug5i; What is a chemical pregnancy? At what stage did you have this vaginal ultrasound? What was the first day of the last menstrual period? I will be glad to help
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

A chemical pregnancy is a very early miscarriage. I had the ultrasound on July 12 (which was Cycle Day 8 - my period had ended a few days prior). I ovulated on Cycle Day 28 (which is late, I know, but I also have PCOS which causes me to ovulate late). I got positive pregnancy tests on 10, 11 and 12 days past ovulation. On the thirteenth day after ovulation (and thereafter) the pregnancy tests were negative. My period arrived at 15 days past ovulation, two days later than normal. My OB/GYN said it was a chemical pregnancy...that I conceived but the pregnancy didn't stick.

In reviewing my ultrasound results, I noticed the report says I have a subendometrial cyst (my doctor never mentioned this to me) and I was wondering what a subendometrial cyst is, and if it could have caused the miscarriage. Thank you for your help!!

Thank you. A cyst of that size is unlikely to have had any influence on a pregnancy. Although rare, in patients with PCO, the LH may rise very high and stay elevated longer than "normal" and this may have resulted in positive home pregnancy tests, but not a blood test. Most "chemical pregnancies" are educated guesses rather than factual. In any case, such cysts represent an accumulaiton of either blood or serum and are too small to have any significance. Good luck

Edited by alan gibstein,m.d.,facog on 8/27/2010 at 5:25 PM EST