Dr.Ashwini Joshi
Dr.Ashwini Joshi, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Consulting Obstretician & Gynecologist

When I urinate, my bladder doesnt empty completely. If I

When I urinate, my bladder doesn't empty completely. If I wait 30 seconds to a minute longer, additional urine dribbles out. What is this? Do I have a problem with my bladder or muscles surrounding the bladder? Should I see a urologist?

Since when do you have this?

Has your Ob/gyn examined you?

Do you have any other symptoms like urgency,dribbling of urine during coughing, sneezing or laughing?

Do you feel any burning during urination?

Are you on any Hormone replacement(menopausal)?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have had this issue for at least one year and probably a bit longer.

I experience no burning. My ob/gyn has not physically examined me for this problem.

I do have stress incontinence that happens only when I laugh very hard.

I do not take any HRT. I am not yet menopausal.

Thank you for the information.

Sometimes when the bladder descends down from its normal position onto the vaginal wall(called as Cystocele),it fails to empty completely resulting in this particular symptom.This may also result in Stress Urinary Incontinence(dribbling of urine during laughing,sneezing etc) as the anatomy of the Urethra too changes.

I feel that this may be the reason in your case.

This can be either due to weakening of the ligaments supporting the Anterior vaginal wall or the pelvic tissue itself,but not because of a problem in the bladder.

The treatment depends on the severity and accompanying symptoms(Kegels as well as Physiotherapy or Surgical in severe cases).

A lack of Estrogen may too cause weakening of the pelvic tissue resulting in this symptom and use of estrogen may help(Mostly seen in menopausal group which may not be the reason in your case).

Here either a Urologist or an Ob/gyn can offer treatment.So, you could just see your Ob/gyn to see if you have any apparent Cystocele.You may not feel it if it is very early stage and may be evident only on straining.

I hope this helps you.My best wishes to you.