Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I took a paps smear about two weeks ago...I called to the office

Customer Question

I took a paps smear about two weeks ago...I called to the office and got my results, the nurse said that my pap test was negative and my chlaymidia and gonorhea test was also negative, so everything came back negative. Well I got a bill in the mail from the lab corp, saying description, Pap IG, CT-NG, rfx HPV ASCU, could you break this down for me and tell me exactly what this means, because when I asked the nurse she said the was no hpv test done, so im confused and also that everything was negative.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Can you delineate line by line the bill for charges?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My bill is set up like this.

Date of service Description charges

07/23/2010 PAP IG, CT-NG, rfx Hpv ASCU 341.00

This is how the bill is written out, the nurse told me everything came back negative and fine, So what does this all mean, what does rfx hpv ascu mean bc she told me i wasnt tested for hpv, but i was tested for gonorhea and chlaymidia and of course my pap

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
PAP IG - means PAP was peformed.
CT - Chlamydia - NG - Negative
rfx Hpv ASCU - Refractory HPV for ASCUS - basically you had a ASCUS (Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined significance - and with this PAP, HPV is then done - and hence most likely HPV was negative - but not reported out - and 341.00 is the cost/ charge for the service.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im still confused, does this mean everything is ok with me, does it mean I have cancer or hpv. the nurse said everything was fine, and the bill said, rfx hpv ascu, not ascus..is there a difference in the 2. And if they did a hpv test why did the nurse tell me there was no test done. I thought that pap ig, ct-ng, rfx hpv ascu was just the test they performed not a diagnoses. and what is a ascu for, does that mean i have abnormal cells, sorry i am just confused bc my nurse said everything was fine, does this mean i dont have hpv and everything is in fact fine
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes she is okay.
NO you do not have cancer, nor do you have HPV.
IT is ASCUS - because HPV was done DUE to an ASCUS PAP - that is why.
There is nothing to be confused about - she had ASCUS PAP, then HPV was done and then the HPV was negative.
So, therefore you are fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so basically ascus was the name of the pap, it wasnt and regular paps smear. so there where no abnormal cells either, and one more question why did the nurse say there there was no hpv test done when she recieved here results
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
With an ASCUS PAP, HPV is then done, if the HPV is negative, then this is considered a normal PAP - that is EXACTLY why HPV is done - and with HPV negative you have a NORMAL PAP that is all there is to it.
I am sorry there is such a confusion but that is WHAT YOUR BILL SAYS.
I did not submit the bill
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im sorry the you are getting a bit irrititated with me, but i like to ask alot of questions. so is ascu the name of the pap that was performed. im still not getting if hpv test was done why wasnt i told that there was one done, because the nurse told me no hpv test was done. why would they test for hpv in the first place, do you know why. was there any abnormal cells found
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Please read what I wrote -
This is really very simple
YOUR BILL STATES exactly what I said - so your nurse lied - I am not the doctor or the nurse at that office.
You have ASCUS PAP - when you have ASCUS - HPV testing is then done - that is all - and if this is negative, then you have technically a normal PAP -
If you really want to understand then you can go to the ASCCP web site which is meant for doctors as it is written in ob/gyn language - but I am telling you that per your bill you have ASCUS and the HPV was supposedly negative although not on the bill.
That is all there is to it
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was also tested for gonorhea, was that on the bill bc she said that was negative to, and my question to you was, is ascu the name of the pap that I had performed
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
No - you are confusing this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok how am I confusing this. ok does ascu mean that I had abnormal cells, what does it mean atypical squameous cells undetermined, what does that mean exactly, I had cells and there didnt know what it was, bc if everything was negative do u know why I would have ascu
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
I said this means an ASCUS PAP - it means 'undetermined' hence HPV testing is done. That is the entire point of doing the HPV test because nothing can be determined hence the meaning of undetermined. And, when HPV is negative, this is a negative PAP - but we call this a ASCUS PAP with HPV Negative - that is all there is to it. If you want a truly negative PAP ONLY comes from someone who has never had sex - and if we see abnormal PAPs that means you are sexually active (I have had many young women tell me they are not sexually active until their PAP results return that are abnormal) - your pap is essentially negative.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when they tested me for hpv did they suppose to tell my doctor, did the nurse suppose to tell me, and is chlaymidia and gonorhea part of a routine paps smear bc my doctor asked me did I wanna get test for them both

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
This is all part of a routine test - if you get and request an annual physical a PAP and CT/GC are done.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well they didnt put gonorhea on my bill, was that a mistake by the lab bc they only have ct-ng
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
ng could mean N. gonorrhea
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How long does it ususally take for pap results to come back, and do you doctors always call you with the results or only if something is wrong
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
That depends on the lab doing the test - I get mine back in 72 hours, and your doctor might be different than what I do - so there is no standard.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I got a bill from my lab corps that says (PAP IG, CT-NG, rfx HPV ASCU, What does these codes mean. My doc told me all my test came back negative, does these codes mean I have abnormal cells. Is there something wrong??? I was also told that there was no HPV test done, so why does my dill say rfx hpv ascu. I am so lost.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for leading me on - I will opt out.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
I did spend a lot of time answering your questions - and thank you for the time - have a good evening. Also, click on OPT OUT too so I do not see the questions and answers from the next expert - thank you.

Edited by Dr. Wilson on 8/8/2010 at 8:36 PM EST