Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.

Hi, I am a 61 year old women who still likes to have sex.

Hi, I am a 61 year old women who still likes to have sex. I know you are aware of how dry the vaginal channel gets and on top of that sometimes I bleed after painful sex. My lining and the elastic part of my channel have gone to hell in a hand basket. I have tryed liquid beads, lubricants etc etc. but none even touch the problem....are they any insertable lubricants that I could shoot in.?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. Your symptoms are due to atrophic vaginitis which is very common after menopause. The best treatment is vaginal estrogen cream. You would need a prescription from your doctor if you do not have this already. Estrogen cream will take at least two weeks to begin working. Therefore, I initially prescribe insertion of the cream daily for the first two weeks and this can be decreased to 2-3 times per week thereafter, or once your pain with intercourse has resolved. The estrogen will help the most, however, continued use of Replens will also be helpful. Feel free to ask additional questions, if necessary. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am doing all that already,,,I just need a little more lubricant INSERTS with lubricant inside the tubs and then can throw them away like a tampon tube...I have seen them but i don't remember were. Mary
Lubrin is a lubricated vaginal insert. It can be purchased online on several sites. RepHresh is a vaginal gel that helps restore the pH. You may have seen this in stores. It is used in the manner you describe and can help with lubrication, but it's primarily for maintaining vaginal health.