Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

hot flashes at 69 yrs old how do I get rid of them, foreve

Customer Question

hot flashes at 69 yrs old how do I get rid of them, forever.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 6 years ago.
Have you used estrogen hormones? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, when I was in my 50s, my doctor said to stop the estrogen BUT did not tell me to go off of the estrogen slowly.
It's unusual that you would still be having bad hot flashes more than 10 years after stopping estrogen. Generally it's a matter of the body adjusting to a low estrogen level, and once it has adjusted, the hot flashes mostly disappear or will be manageable. Eventually the hot flashes should become mile, but certain things can help in the meantime. Regular exercise is important. Avoid stress as much as possible, as that always increases hot flashes. Sometimes meditation is helpful. Certain medications can be helpful, including certain antidepressants and some other prescription medications. Acupuncture and certain herbs, including black cohosh may help. Best wishes.