Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.

I have bad mood swings the week before my period and on the

I have bad mood swings the week before my period and on the first day of my period I have horrible cramps, nausea, diarrhea and fever or chills and abdominal pains that feel like a stomach flu. These symptoms last about 24-48 hours and then I am perfectly fine. I have had this happen for about 2 years now with some month lighter than others. But for that day or two of the month I can't get out of bed. I need to find a cure. What can I do?
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. You have what is called premenstrual dysphoric disorder which is premenstrual syndrome that is so severe it affects our daily activities. Treatment is actually favorable with anti-depressants and/or birth control. A good birth control option would be one that allows you to have few periods per year so that you don't suffer from these symptoms that often. I recommend you visit with an ob/gyn who can offer you additional contraception options that your general doctor can not provide. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions, if necessary. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does this condition last for as long as I will have menstruation or its something that can go away on its own? Also do the medications only make it better when taken or they actually cure the disorder?
PMDD is something that may or may not improve with time. Those medications are treatments, but they are not curative.