Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I was taking megestrol for only 6 days. i stopped because

I was taking megestrol for only 6 days. i stopped because it said you should take if you think you are pregnet. As i was reading the side effects it said that it can interfer with your period. Can it effect my period only using it for 6 days and if so when will my period come back if im not pregent.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Yes, megestrol is a progeserone and yes it will affect your periods. And, yes your periods will return to normal after you complete using it, usually about 2 to 4 weeks later you should return to normal for your periods.
If you are taking the megestrol for bleeding then this should help 'reset' your menstrual cycle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was wondering if it could effectmy period only taking it for 6 days. i stopped and its been 7 days. Howlong will it take for me to get my period if im not pregent
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes, megesterol can prevent you from bleeding and many doctors use this to stop bleeding. When you stop the megace - you can have a bleed about 2 to 7 days later and then you will have your period again on average about 4 weeks later.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay so after i stop i should startmy period 2-7 days later? then it will go back to normal 4 weeks later?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my other symptoms are slight cramping, headaches, dizziness, going to the rest room, sentive smell. Are these realted?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I was offline for a bit - I'm back.
Yes, after bleeding AFTER stopping the Megace - you should have another period about 4 weeks later.
These symptoms could be related if this bleeding is due to a pituitary problem such as thyroid or prolactin - so you need to have a TSH and a prolactin labs done.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so bleeding means that 2-7 days after i stop taking it, i should have a period, then it will go back to normal 4 weeks later? sorry just trying to understand you correctly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so bleed means period? i have been tested for throiod and it came out good. If i dont start my to bleed(period in 2-7 days then their might be a chance that i could be pregent? I had intercourse when iwas ovalting on the 2nd and was suppose to start my period on the 16. I started to take the medicine on the 7th and stoped on the 13. what do you think about that. thanks so much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes, bleeding means period.
If you were pregnant PRIOR to megace then the megace will help the pregancy, but if NOT pregnant prior to the megace, then this will prevent you from getting pregnant until after you stop the megace.
So, if you think you could possibly be pregnant do a pregnancy test.
I hope this helps, if satisfied, please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated and if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so this can effect my period in such a short timeof using only 6days
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it can. I hope I have answered ALL of your questions....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean by helpthe pregenacy? I had intercourse 5 days before taking it

If you were pregnant PRIOR to megace then the megace will help the pregancy,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Why wdere you taking the Menace?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my dr put me on it to gain weight.. I only needed to gain 15 lbs. im not even under weight. Im 5'4 and weight 113lbs. i just didnt have much of a appeitate. Mabey from stress. He didnt tell me all teh side effects of megestrol acetate oral suspension 40mg. Im just wondering if i dont start my period soon if im pregent. its been 7 days since i have taken the med. You said i should start 2-7 days. How much longer should i wate
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
At 5'4" you are at a very good weight - and Progesterone should NEVER be used to gain weight. But, take a pregnancy test, if it is negative, then you are not pregnant. Megace is a progesterone that we use for many reasons - but, let's say you were pregnant - then the megace would enhance the pregnancy - because your body produces progesterone from the corpus luteum cyst from the 3rd week to about the 11th week until the placenta takes over. But, if you are NOT pregnant already, then the Megace will act as a birth control - so botXXXXX XXXXXne it will NOT harm a pregnancy if you are pregnant.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, and if you have additional questions, then please ask thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I took a test and it came out negative. i have heard that it alway isnt correct. After i wait the 2-7 day period and i dont start then should i just go to the dr and get a pregency test there?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
If the test is negative and you have been taking the megace, you are NOT pregnant, so the test is correct. The doctor's test is the EXACT same as you can buy in the store - we use the same exact test - there is no difference.
Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated for all my time I have given to you and if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you.
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate