Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.

What causes me to have smelly periods I use only pads but

What causes me to have smelly periods? I use only pads but I notice that my period smells really bad especially whenever it starts. What causes this?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. Would you describe the odor as fishy? Do you have an odor after intercourse as well? Any vaginal irritation or itching? Any pain with intercourse? Any new sexual partners/do you use condoms? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No the odour is not fishy. It just smells unpleasant. I dont recall having one after intercourse. I had slight itching before my period started. No pain with intercourse. No new partners and I use condoms sometimes

If you would consider the odor a metallic, unpleasant smell then perhaps this is due to an overgrowth of normal bacteria in the vagina called (bacterial vaginosis--BV). This occurs commonly in women and is treated with antibiotics prescribed by your doctor. Until you can see your doctor, you can use an over the counter product called RepHresh to restore your vaginal pH and treat the odor. Another possibility is a sexually transmitted infection. If you have not been tested since you've been with your current partner, you may certainly request testing to be sure. You can find more information about RepHresh at the website below. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions, if necessary. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have had testing since i have been with my partner (altho not recently). I should also point out that once when I had sex with him after he pulled off the condom and i took it to dispose of it, it had a similar odor. Do you still think it is bv
If he has a similar odor, I recommend you see your doctor and ask for testing for sexually transmitted infections, especially Trichomonas. It can certainly still be BV, however, less likely since men usually do not have an odor at all.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he did not have the odor it must have been from me because I smelled it on the outside of the condom

Then you smell this because your discharge has an odor in general. This does not help identify the actual cause. Your doctor will need to use a q-tip to take a sample of your discharge and review it under the microscope to determine which of the above is causing the odor.