Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
28424515

Transvaginal ultrasound findings endometrial stripe is heterogeneous

Transvaginal ultrasound findings endometrial stripe is heterogeneous in appearance it measures 6.9 mm

septated left ovarian cyst that measures 2.1x 1.4 x 2.0

should i be worried?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
Hello! My name isXXXXX and I will take the time to answer your question =)

Why did you have the ultrasound? Were you having irregular bleeding? Have you had an endometrial biopsy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

abdominal pain, irregular bleeding, my period would start for a day completely stop then start and be heavy for 2 days stop completely and start again, this would be for about 7-8 days a month. I did have a D&C last year

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
Do you know what the D&C pathology showed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Everything was normal
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
Ok. . .a couple things. . .

A 6cm thick stripe is kind of in the ambiguous range. . .can't make too much of that especially considering last year you had a D&C likely for a thickened endometrium and irregular bleeding and everything was normal.

There are two types of cysts-- septated and simple. A septated cyst is more worrisome than a simple cyst, but yours is quite small.

So yes. . .some of these findings could be worrisome (ex. the septated cyst in combination with irregular bleeding and thickened endometrial stripe. . .but taking into account everything you told me. . .specifically that you had D&C just last year which showed normal findings. . . the whole picture actually doesn't sound nearly as worrisome. I think the most important thing here is going to be to keep following up and seeing what this cyst does. Depending on other findings that the cyst may have showed, I'm not sure if your gyn will want to remove it or not. Sometimes cysts will have things like papillary projections which make it more worrisome as well, but you did not describe such findings. . .so can't be sure.

In any case, it is very reassuring that just a year ago you had normal endometrial findings. If it does turn out to be something worrisome, the good thing is that hopefully you have caught this early. But again. . .very reassuring that you had normal pathology just a year ago.
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Accomplished Physician and Educator