Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.

Is it normal to have brown discharge before your period

<p>Is it normal to have brown discharge before your period? I get reddish/brown discharge a few days before my "proper" period starts ... this has been happening for approx. 3 - 4 months now. I've recently lost a lot of weight (approx. 22kg) and my husband and I have been TTC for a couple of months. Since losing weight my period's are regular (approx. 30 day cycles for about 6 months now; when I was over-weight they were very "random") without pain etc; my only concern is this brown/red discharge before proper flow starts.</p>

The brown discharge is most likely the beginning of the period. This can occur from time to time and is usually secondary to hormonal changes, reduce water intake, or can be an indication of an infection. Since you have lost weight recently this is the most likely cause resulting in a hormonal change. For now continue to monitor it as it is not dangerous to your health. If there is any odor or associated itching, or pain then an evaluation to rule out an infection is indicated.

Hope this is clear, if not let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your reply; I really appreciate it.

I have been assuming it is the beginning of my period due to the timing (reddish/brown for a few days immediately followed by "full flow"). There is no pain, odor or itching.

If I am TTC, do I count this reddish/brown discharge as the first day of my cycle?

I know you have never examined me, however, in your opinion is the most likely cause of this discharge my weight loss (since I have a regular cycle and no other health concerns ... do not smoke, drink, have a BMI now of 22.5)?

Should I be taking anything to assist with my hormones after the weight loss & now my husband and I want to have a baby?

You can count it a the first day of your period if you are having obvious bleeding, if not then wait. The weight change is the most likely cause and should resolve in time. If this problem has persisted for more than 6 months then you may want to consider a cycle or two of hormones but this is best guided after an examine. If you have been trying to get pregnant for more than 12 months you would benefit from an evaluation so contact your gyn provider.

Hope this is clearer.