Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence
24231911

what is the difference between a sebaceous cyst in the labia

Customer Question

what is the difference between a sebaceous cyst in the labia and a bartholin cyst?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 6 years ago.

Greetings,

Sebaceous cyst & Bartholin's cyst arise from different glands. Sebaceous cyst arises from the blockage of the duct of sebaceous glands. Sebaceous glands are widespread & may appear in other parts of the body too. Please read this good resource on it.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000842.htm

Bartholin's gland are however present inside the labia . It has a definite location. The cyst arises also from block of its duct. Please see this picture.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/medical/IM02902

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So if the cyst appears to be halfway between the clitoris and the bottom of the vaginal opening it is probably a sebaceous cyst? I have had ingrown hairs which have turned into cysts in this area before but this one is quite a bit bigger and more tender. When should I go see my doctor? It drained a bit tonight.
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 6 years ago.

It it is draining on its own, it may resolve without going to the doctor. Warm soaks will help pull out the drainage. If it starts to get bigger or ,ore painful again, you should see your physician.

Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: 15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence