Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

My nipples are turning dark purple, almost bruised color

my nipples have been turning a dark purple, almost bruised color...normally light pink/red. I have been extremeky tired, my breast are sore, and my sides under my arms, color bone, between my shoulder blades and right below my rib cage in my back hurt. What could be wrong?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Are you using any medications or pills?
Have you ever been pregnant?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
never been pregnant, but last month my period was very irregular..mostly i called my obgyn and he ordered a blood test and it came back negative. I wasn't taking anything except claritan for allergy, but now im taking relafen for anti inflamatory
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
do you have regular periods?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
normally my periods are always about 28-30 days apart my first day is very heavy and then steady for about 3 more days with lots of blood clots and then i spot for a day or so..totaling 5 or six days. Last month i had spoting bleeding steady for about 6 hrs and then spotting for one and half days totaling about 3 days....and i had no clots what so ever!
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
At this point - I would recommend seeing your doctor and have a few tests: a Prolactin and a TSH thyroid blood tests. I would also recommend a pelvic ultrasound to check you ovaries for possible ovarian cysts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok but i've had cyst on my thyroid last year and i felt nothing like miserable
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
That is why i recommended other tests: prolactin and your ovaries - this can induce problems with your breasts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i understand...but what is wrong with them?? it just scares me when my nipples turn purple
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
You might be producing too much prolactin, you might have an ovarian cyst.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok gotcha it takes while to sink in sorry. Thank you but if its not to much...what is prolactin and how can it be managed?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Prolactin is produced in your pituitary gland and if too much is produced medications such as bromocriptine and cabergoline will help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok well i really hope that is what it is ,,,,because my family doctor thinks i may have lupus becuause my CRP being high....also i have been getting a rash on my legs when i stand alot....i was just hoping for a second opion before i go and see a rheumatologist for no reason. I know i don't feel good, after I had pheumonia twice in march and april i feel like i just haven't really felt 100% better
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Yes, this could be lupus, this could be cytomegalovirus, this could 100's of other problems - but given you are young, this is unlikely to be anything serious.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
good! I have been worried because my family history of lupus and some type of cancer is aweful everyone has had, has it , or died from it....i figured that could play a role in my odds of it being something serious...but i am hoping that it could be something easy to live u reccomend seeing a rhuematolgist
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.

At your age you do NOT have cancer - that would be very unlikely - breast cancer just does not happen at age 20. Do NOT see a rheumatologist - just see an ob/gyn - that is all you need to be seen by.