Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

Can you bleed to death from a period I am soaking through

Can you bleed to death from a period? I am soaking through a super tampon every 20 o 30 minutes, for at least the last 5 hours.

No insurance. Wondering what could happen if I just wait it out. Always had bad periods, but not quite this bad. Had a period last month, but that was the first since around Christmas.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
If you are soaking and pad every 20 to 30 minutes you need to go to the Emergency room - because you will need to get this bleeding stopped - and we usually stop this with emergency Estrogen given by IV.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't see an answer to my question. I can not afford to go to ER unless literally dying!
What is likely to happen? Can you actually bleed to death this way?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
If you are soaking a pad this much, you really can become anemic - and yes with a very large blood loss this can be disasterous. Also, if you have birth control pills you can use these to help with the bleeding too.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I assume from your responses that actully dying is not highly likely. Will start iron supplement pills if this will help ward off anemia. No birth control pills, would estrogen creams help or would that be to slow acting to have any effect? Any OTC or "alternative" suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Not very likely, but bleeding can be concerning. Birth control pills have estrogen (most of them do) - and you can try estrogen cream - but not a high a dose as the pills or IV (intravenous). You can also try Naprosyn or Ibuprofen (Aleeve or Motrin).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for your time and patience. I will try these alternatives and monitor the situation. If it continues at this rate throughout the day I will go to ER. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Your welcome - and please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.