Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

How can I tell if my c-section incision is infected It seems

How can I tell if my c-section incision is infected? It seems to be a bit red in two spots, and also a small amount of yellow-ish gooey pus is coming out from thos two locations...the amount of a tear drop or less.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 6 years ago.
Pus means infection, so I think your incision is infected. Redness usually means infection also. The question is how much infection is there. If it's a small amount, it's not serious, and can be treated with warm soaks and hydrogen peroxide. However, if it's very much, the incision may need to be opened up more so that the infection can drain better. It sounds like there's only a little infection in your incision, but it would be best for a doctor to look at it. I would call your doctor's office and describe to them your incision. Then they can decide how soon you should be seen. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That is why I wrote to you. I wanted advice on what I should do. I cannot go to see the doctor that easily as I am recovering from my c-section delivery and have 2 kids at home, whilst my husband is away at military training.

Can I send you pictures of the area to see if you can determine how infected it is to some degree so that I do not waste a trip to the doctor for something I could treat at home.

Yes, I think you can post pictures on this site. They would have to be good pictures for me to be able to tell how infected it is. Also please describe how much swelling there is to the incision area. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok I am posting the pictures online now, it will take me about 5 minutes. Can you please wait? Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Here is a picture. It is the area where I took off the steri-strip where the pus came out and that I think is infected. So you can see it is only that small of an area also. What do you think I should do?

It looks like a small area, and probably a small infection. I would clean the area with hydrogen peroxide 3 times daily and put a warm wash cloth over it with a heating pad. If it's not getting better see your doctor.