Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I am getting severe pelvic pain right after my period. It feels

I am getting severe pelvic pain right after my period. It feels like something is stabbing me and even a feeling of like it was bleeding afterwards. I am not bleeding but cant hardly stand up straight from sitting down. this only happens after my periods. It is on the lower right pelvic area and goes toward the middle of lower pelvic
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
This could be an ovarian cyst - and I would recommend that you get a pelvic exam a and a pelvic ultrasound. Other reasons - this could be pelvic scar tissue - what we call adhesions from possible PID - Pelvic inflammatory disease, or even endometriosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have insurance and can't afford to do that right now. Is there medicine I can try to treat it with?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
You can try over the counter medications such as Motrin (Ibuprofen) 600 mg every 6 hours (maximum dosage is 2400 mg every 24 hours), or Naprosyn (Aleeve) and the dosage is 400 to 500 mg every 12 hours , maximum dosage is 800 to 1000 mg every 24 hours.
Also, if you have birth control pills - birth control pills help this pain by decreasing periods and also stopping ovulation.
I hope this helps, if satisfied, please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It feels like a fire is burning from the middle to the lower right of my lower pelvic. Do you think Doxycycl HYC 100mg Cap would get rid of whatever it is?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
If you feel like this - this could be herpes, this could be a tubo ovarian abscess - and honestly this should be evaluated - the doxycycline is for a chlamydia or PID infection - so it might or might not help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a IUD so I don't use birth control to control periods. It only hurts after my period. Which with having a IUD I dont have a full period or heavy one at that. Could this have anything to do with it? Would that still be a sign of herpes if it only comes when my period ends? I appologize for all the questions. I am just worried.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
If only after your periods - then the motrin or naprosyn might help if you START the medications about 2 to 3 days PRIOR to your periods - this could help tremendously.
Also, since you have an IUD - you might want to see if you have an infection - but women with IUDs with possible infections, I would give a course of doxycyline 100 mg twice a day for 10 days.
Herpes - painful, raw, and small pimples likes cyts with clear fluid, but unlikely HSV given your scenario.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great thank you. My mom can get me some RX for the DOX. I will try that. I don't have any kind of sores or discharge of anykind anywhere. It is all on the inside like ovarie area to underneath my belly buttom around where I had my C-Section done from child birth. It almost feels like I am cut right there. The pain is kind of odd to explain. From a fire feeling to a bleeding feeling to a being cut open feeling. It last about 4 days after my period then goes away but those days are the worst days ever!
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
This could be dysmenorrhea - a painful period - and this is just unexplained pain - so motrin/naprosyn would help.
Take care and please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate