Dr.Ashwini Joshi
Dr.Ashwini Joshi, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Consulting Obstretician & Gynecologist
28774514

why does my vagina smell like dirty feet

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.Ashwini Joshi replied 6 years ago.

Do you have any discharge?

Have you taken any medications any time?

When was the last checkup with your Doctor?

Regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No discharge that is abnormal. No itching burning etc. Had seen my obgyn as recent as 3 mths. ago. Everything was fine. I have started taking bc pills and skiping the placebo pills and starting over w/ the regular pills to not have a period. In addition I do take adderall and it seems as though this odor started since i've started taking it. It is not all the time but it does come every once and a while and will last about a week. The adderall makes me have no appetite and I can forget to eat from time to time. Can low blood sugar throw off your ph as well?

Though abnormal smelly discharge is not a known side effect of Adderall,loss of appetite is.

Smelly discharge is usually seen in a form of change in pH of the vagina(low sugars won't change vaginal Ph though diabetes with high blood sugars does).However certain practices like douching may change it and make the vagina more prone for infections by bacteria which are naturally present in vagina causing Bacterial vaginosis.Sometimes birth control too may change the pH.

About the discharge,try using some probiotics(lactobacillus)available over the counter or even yoghurt.Use a panty linner which absorbs the discharge(which is normal in your case)and decrease the smell.Avoid douching too.

I hope this helps you.

Edited by Dr.Ashwini Joshi on 6/3/2010 at 6:42 AM EST