Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Hi, an area of my vagina is swollen, itches and hurts. Today

Hi, an area of my vagina is swollen, itches and hurts. Today is Monday I first noticed this on Friday. It has gotten worse since and just began to puss. I am in a committed relationship and have never had this before. I know my boyfriend is not messing around. what could this be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Is there an odor to this?
Do you have a history of any abnormal PAP smears?
Are you taking any medications or birth control?
Have you ever had a STD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There isn't an odor but I noticed it on the same day my period began.

I have never had an abnormal PAP smear but my older sister was diagnosed with precancerous cells in her cervix a few years ago.

I can't take birth control due to a heart condition but I am taking Citolphram which is the generic version of Celexa for depression and I am taking over the counter diet pills.

I have never had an STD.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Just to let you know - cervical dysplasia (precancer) and cervical cancer is a STD - and it is caused by HPV - Human Papilloma virus.
This could be a HSV - Herpes virus infection - but if no history of HSV and you are in a committed relationship unlikely, but most likely this could be a Yeast infection - and you can try getting an over the counter product such as Monistat or Vagistat and see if either of these products helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wasn't diagnosed with cervical dysplasia it was my older sister. You answered a question though because I was worried it might be genetic or hereditary.

Before contacting you I looked at images of Herpes sores and none look like the one I have.

What kind of yeast infection can cause this?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
OH no, I was just trying to tell you how cervical dysplasia occurs - I wasn't saying this was you - I was just trying to give a little teaching - but, cervical cancer is NOT heriditary - that is what I was getting too.
Basically a yeast infection occurs because of a possible change in pH (acid base balance) of your vagina - and there really is no specific reason. Sometimes this occurs after someone has been treated with antibiotics, sometimes just from sex, so no real causitive reason.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am so sorry about so many questions but I am in an absolute panic.

Prior to contacting you I also looked up the different types of yeast infections. None of the ones I found mentioned swelling. Is there a particular yeast infection that is known for causing inflammation and pain of the skin?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
That's okay - ask away.
Yeast infections do NOT always present with discharge - but the only way to know for sure is with a yeast culture - but it is just fine to self treat initially with an over the counter product such as the Monistat (miconazole) or Vagistat (tioconazole) as this might help. Other reasons that you might have this is from sex itself - as you might not have been lubricated enough. But, to alleviate your concerns, and given your young age, unlikely that something is seriously wrong.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok one last question I promise.

By the way thank you so much you have been most helpful.

Is it possible to have Herpes for over 10 years and not know it?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
It is possible to have herpes and NOT know about it because it lies dormant in your system and once you have herpes, some immune system trigger such as being sick or having some stress can trigger a herpes outbreak - but usually herpes has small little blisters with clear fluid and these can be quite painful and uncomfortable and the treament is with Valtrex or Acyclovir.
I hope this helps and if satisfied, please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate