Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

I am a fifty-five year old woman, married for 30+ years. I

I am a fifty-five year old woman, married for 30+ years. I was a virgin when I married, as was my husband, and we have been faithful to each other. I do not make it a habit of douching, and I generally have a very healthy diet (lots of fish, vegies/fruit...no red meat, no wheat or dairy/egg products). I also get regular if not daily exercise (walking about 2.5 miles 3+x a week). Yet for the past year I have been dealing with gardenerella. The medicine I just finished (as did my husband) was the mycondizole (it made both of us feel as if we had the flu). I also finished five days of herbal suppositories. I still have the symptoms as well as seriously irritated vaginal "lining". HELP Thanks so much.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. Gardnerella, the bacteria that causes bacterial vaginosis (BV) is not a sexually transmitted infection. This bacteria is normally found in the vagina in small amounts and due to different reasons, the state of the vagina changes and Gardnerella can proliferate. In your case, it is likely menopause that has led to this change. Treatment is with antibiotics and frequently Flagyl is prescribed by your doctor. After antibiotics, the acidophilus can help prevent the recurrence of BV, however, the products you have listed do not actually treat the infection when it is present. I recommend you see your physician for antibiotics. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions, if necessary. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr Hearne, Are you saying that the mitrocondizole that both of my phyisicians (one a naturopath one an ifamily practitioner) have put me (which by the way, I reacted poorly to) was not the correct or best medicine to use against the gardenerella? thank you

Miconazole is a treatment for a yeast infection. If it was recommended by your physicians, this would have been to treat yeast. However, if you were given pills called Flagyl (also called metronidazole) this is a prescription that you take orally for Gardnerella infections. There is also Metro-Gel, a vaginal insert form of metronidazole that is also given for Gardnerella infections. These two medications sound similar, and I'm not quite sure which prescription you received. However, Metronidazole can not be taken with alcohol and if you had nausea, vomiting as a reaction to this medication, it was likely because of alcohol intake during use of this medication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. It was Metronidazole (we don't drink and I even avoided perfumes, etc. that might have alcohol as the pharmacist mentioned this bias when I purchased the pills.). All that aside, what I am left with is the infection. Would you recommend another course of medicine or is there something else/more I can do. Thanks

If your doctor prescribed a one time dose of 4 pills, I would recommend a week long course of one pill every 12 hours. If your doctor has already tried the week long course, I recommend a different antibiotic that has been shown to be successful when Flagyl fails. This antibiotic is called Tindamax. You would take one pill every 12 hours for 5 days. I also recommend you use RepHresh, a vaginal gel that helps restore the pH back to normal and prohibit Gardnerella growth. You can learn more about this gel at www.rephresh.com. Take care.

Experience: With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.