Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence

My period wont stop. I skipped last months period, and this

My period won't stop. I skipped last month's period, and this month the bleeding won't stop. The bleeding is light and has been bleeding for 3 weeks or so. I feel fine, other than the anxiety this is giving me. My periods have always been irregular, but I've never had prolonged bleeding before. The past 6 months I've put on quite a bit of weight and have also been under an extreme amount of stress with my father being very ill. I also have slight pitting edema in my lower legs. What could be the cause of the prolonged period?

you are likely having a prolonged periods for many reasons - skipping last month's period as well as the stress of your dad's illness and the weight gain (testosterone is stored in fat, more fat tissue equals more testosterone, which is then converted to estrogen). i would suggest getting a depo-provera shot. that will stop the bleeding right now. you would have to get it from your doctor.

thank you for placing your trust in me. if you are satisfied with my answer, please click the green accept button so i get paid. best of luck!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How long should I give it to stop naturally before I go see the doctor? Doctors are my last resort...

The reason you are having this bleeding is because you do not ovulate on a regular basis. When you ovulate, you make progesterone which signals the uterus to shed the lining off at one time. When you skipped a month, the lining kept growing and now it is so thick that it sheds off on its own but not all at one time. This is what is causing this long, drawn out period. without that signal, it may continue on. If not resolve d within a week, you need to see a doctor. this can be stopped with one month of a birth control pill and it might be good for you to be on one to regulate your periods because this could happen again. Your other option is provera 10 mg for 10 days which will correct it as well but you have to see a doctor for either of these options. Good Luck.

Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: 15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence