Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

I have like a ball of tissue coming out from my vagina. Been

I have like a ball of tissue coming out from my vagina. Been there for over 2 mths.; therefore, it doesn't look to me like it's going to go away. It is uncomfortable. It even hurts to wipe w/the softest toilet paper. What is this? Do I HAVE to go to a dr? Why do I hesitate? Because I have no insurance, and very little money that seems to all go to bills. What do you think?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 6 years ago.
Is it a firm ball or a soft one? Does it go away when you lie down? Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
soft, and no it doesn't go away when I lie down, and also, I do have hemorroids. I got a mirror and tried to see whats going on, and to me, it kinda looks like a hemorroid, but it's coming from the vagina.
I suspect that the ball you notice is some weakening of the walls of the vagina, meaning either a cystocele (bladder coming down), rectocele (rectal wall coming down), or enterocele (intestines coming down behind the cervix). However, any of these would usually decrease while lying down and be more so when standing up. It might also be your cervix from a prolapse (falling down) of the uterus, but that usually is more firm. A soft ball is unlikely to be cancer or anything bad, but it would be best to have it checked out. I would try to see a doctor, perhaps at a low cost clinic or Planned Parenthood, where they charge on a sliding scale. As least then you'll know what it is. Most any of these only need to be treated if they are causing enough symptoms. Treatment is usually surgery, although sometimes a pessary can be used to give support. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX yes, I will go see a doctor. (Dang, always something, and ha, welcome to the joys of getting old). Smile