Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I have multiple fibroids, 1 -7.5 cm, 1- 6.8 cm, and several

I have multiple fibroids, 1 -7.5 cm, 1- 6.8 cm, and several smaller ones. I am 44 and have no desire for children. I have heavy periods, cramping on and off cycle, urinary frequency, back pain, and distended abdomen. I am choosing between a hysterectomy and UFE. Please help. I need to make a decision ASAP because I need relief. Am I a candidate for LAHV. My gyno wants to do bikini line hysterectomy, but says if I put it off that I may need a vertical incision.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Actually - I would recommend a hysterectomy at this point - why - because you have very large fibroids and you have 'several smaller one' - and the UFE procedure can not take care of all the fibroids. Also, you can STILL have a vaginal hysterectomy even with fibroids, or even a Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy - if your doctor is NOT comfortable with this procedure - there are plenty of ob/gyns in the country who are comfortable with this procedure - and NO, you do NOT need a vertical incision.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can keep my ovaries and cervix with any of these procedures, right
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Well, with a vaginal hysterectomy - you usually loose your cervix, although there is a procedure called a Doderlein vaginal hysterectomy where your cervix can be saved - however, most ob/gyn's are NOT skilled in this procedure as it is not taught that often. Your ovaries can be saved with any procedure.
But, if you want to keep your cervix, then you would need a laparoscopic procedure and have a working morcellating device to remove the uterus from your pelvis without making a bigger incision, or just have an abdominal procedure (bikini line incision).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

if you have no cervix, how does the vagina end? will it still stretch?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Actually, it is safer to NOT have a cervix after a hysterectomy. Where the cervix use to be, we close the vagina shut by placing sutures - the top of the vagina (where the cervix use to be is securely closed from the opening of your pelvis and abdomen.
The reason I say 'safer' is that if you happen to get cervical cancer and you do NOT have a uterus left, this can be quite a difficult treatment to near impossible - so I never recommend leaving your cervix behind (although some women want to retain the cervix for the false belief that it is needed for sex, it is not needed).
As an ob/gyn, I never leave the cervix - and if a woman wants to keep her cervix, and then recommend another ob/gyn who does not mind leaving the cervix behind.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.