Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...

Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
18724279

I have two small hard lumps in my vaginal wall. One of them

I have two small hard lumps in my vaginal wall. One of them is 2 inches from the vaginal entrance (I have only just noticed this one today) and the other is about 4 inches inside (I have had this one for several months) there was another one which either seems to have gone although I am unsure whether it has moved position and that it is the one I noticed today? The lumps are hard and appear to move under the skin. They are not painful. I went to the doc when I first noticed them and they said not to worry although I do not feel she took me seriousley. I now concerned as another one has appeared. They do not appear to have got larger. I just recently had a smear test which was clear. I do not have any STDs. I have one child who is 6years, normal vaginal delivery. No other symptoms. I am 24. Worried it could be cancer or something serious
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you. Those lumps you are describing are most likely cysts. The cysts form from clogged glands (mucus and others) that line the vagina. There is also a small chance they are due to what we call "embryological remnants" - (sounds scary but they are just cyst like structures from when you developed in the womb) None these are serious and unless they cause pain or difficulty with intercourse we typically just "leave them alone". My suggestion is to go back to your doctor and explain your concerns to her and have her repeat the exam and then have a conversation about what she thinks these are and how best to manage them (observation, surgery, etc..)

I hope you find this information helpful.

Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.

Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.

Good Luck and Well Wishes,

Dr. Haver
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is it common for there to be several cysts?

kind regards

It is less common to have more than one, but it does not mean that it increases the chances that these are something significant. They can be surgically removed/drained, but should be evaluated by a vaginal ultrasound before that to make sure that they are limited to just below the surface of the wall of the vagina. That being said, we usually just watch them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I read that if they are cysts they are usually soft where as these lumps are hard, is there any reason why there may be more than one and is it likely more will appear? Also will they go by thenselves and how long can that take? If they were anything concerning would the smear test have showed some abnormalities? Sorry about all the questions just feel a bit anxious after discovering another one today.

Thankyou

If the cysts are filled to the "max" they can be quite hard. I just thought of another possibility, if you had deep vaginal lacerations at delivery, some women can develop scar tissue around the sutures and that might lead to a hard nodule or nodules. The only way to know for sure is with more investigation of the lumps - and a vaginal ultrasound is going to be the best way to do this. This is your body! Our job is to answer your questions to the best of your ability and it is normal to want to know what the heck those are!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did have stiches after my delivery altough I can not recall if they were inside, also if this was the case would they not have been there since my sons birth, they have only just appeared i n the past few months, I do have PCOS, could this be a cause?
Thanks for the information - it is most likely not due to birth trauma then and I can assure you they are not secondary to PCOS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Would my smear tests have shown something if there was something concerning?
The pap smear is only to show and changes on your cervix - not the walls of the vagina.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do cysts normally 'move'? as I seem to be able to move these lumps slighty with my finger I also appear to be able to hold the lump between my fingers and kind of 'pick' it up. It sounds weird, but the best way to describe it is like there is small frozen pea trapped under the skin, is this common for cysts?

Yes - this is very common for cysts.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience: U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years