Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

Im 49 years old. My menstrual cycle has been normal every

I’m 49 years old. My menstrual cycle has been normal every 21-23 days with the exception of missing the month of oct both in 09 and 08. This is my birthday month and felt a gift from the universe. In Dec 09 I had 2 periods and then 2 in Jan and feb of 2010. The cycle seemed to normalize Mar and April. I’m however past my cycle date in May, should have started on or around the 8th. My last full cycle was April 10-15 with some spotting on the 19 and 20.
I wouldn’t be worried except I’ve been nausea for the past 12 days, lost 7 lbs and feel pregnant.
I’ve been pg 5x before and I’m very familiar with what my body feels like during pregnancy. I’m very sensitive to smells and will get dizzy riding up elevators, having headaches and brain fog feeling. None of this is normal for me except during pregnancy. I’ve done 6 at home preg test. 1 positive the rest neg. I don’t have health ins. I went to a free clinic and their test was neg and I have a appt in 2 weeks with a Dr.
Can my being preimenopausal mask a peg test? Are these just perimenopause symptoms
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Since you have done 6 pregnancy tests, what day was the positive test, and what day were the Negative tests?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

evening May 6 positive

Morning May 7 neg

Morning May 9 neg

Morning May 13 neg

May 14 neg

May 16 neg

Clinic May 17 neg

I bought 2 packs with 3 per pack

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Since all the remaining pregnancy tests are negative, then you are not pregnant - and you might have had a miscarriage which is not that uncommon given your age - because most women who get pregnant after the age of 45, end up having a miscarriage because of a genetic DNA mismatch, usually Turner's syndrome or some other genetic problem that is not compatible with life - so therefore a miscarriage occurs. Also, you might have an ovarian cyst and all the irregular bleeding could also be due to perimenopause and I would highly recommend that you get the following tests and pelvic exams: TSH thyroid blood test, a pelvic exam, a PAP smear if you have not had one in the past year, a pelvic ultrasound, and an endometrial biopsy to make sure that all is well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This would make me feel nause for 13 days?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
If you are having irregular bleeding, a thyroid condition, menopause, or an ovarian cyst - these can cause your symptoms.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So It's not possible to be pregnant even though my cycles have been normal for 2 months prior to missing this cycle and I could have miscarried even though I didn't have any bleeding.

I had a pap in Oct of 09 and thriod test all fine.

I'd prefer to not be pregnant, I take clonazepam 1mg tab at night and have stopped doing so since May 5 till I'm sure. So, to be clear, no blood test is needed to rule out pregnancy? You don't know of any cases where the non blood test pregnancy test have been false only to find later the woman is pregnant?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you are NOT pregnant - not possible. With all the remaining pregnancy tests as negative - you are NOT pregnant - so you do not need to be concerned about a pregnancy. And, all the stuff you read on the internet - it is all hype, none of it is true - so again, you are not pregnant.