Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

I have a rash on my labia majora that itches severely. Ive

I have a "rash" on my labia majora that itches severely. I've tried anti itch creams but they do not stop the itch for long. I have not been able to get it to clear up. If I scratch it then I seem to tear the bumps open which cause me to burn when I urinate. Im 58 yrs old and have past menopause l5 yrs ago. The only relief i seem to get is from putting vaseline on me to prevent rubbing from clothes or a pad. I use a pad because of a weak bladder and tend to "leak" if i cough a lot. Any help for me?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Does this itch go down lower in the vagina / vulva (labia majorum) and towards your anus?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is located at the top toward my navel. where it folds from outside to inside of me. i hope i am making sense. does not go all the way to my anus. mainly just the front part.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
But, does it goes almost towards your anus?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no it does not. it is at the front part and does not go near the middle part.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Since you have this rash / itching and it is not going away - I would recommend that you get this evaluated by your ob/gyn - and I would highly recommend a couple of biopsies to rule out a dysplasia (precancer) or even cancer. Also, I would recommend a complete pelvic exam, a PAP smear of the cervix and vagina, plus I would recommend a colposcopy of your vulva (microscope look), and this could be an infection, but it could be dysplasia, but it could also be a disease process such as Paget's disease, or even a Lichen sclerosis - and hence what I suggested will help give you a very clear diagnosis and a proper treatment plan.