Ask Mary Claire Haver, M. D. Your Own Que...

Mary Claire Haver, M. D.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience:  U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
18724279

Symptoms Sore cervix to the uterus along with mild pain on

Customer Question

Symptoms: Sore cervix to the uterus along with mild pain on my left side and a feeling of heaviness on the cervix. Worse when I am sitting down. Pap was normal.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Mary Claire Haver, M. D. replied 4 years ago.
Do you feel a mass in the vagina at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This has been ongoing for the past three months and the doctor said 2 months ago when he did the Pap that the cervix looks healthy. Feels as if I am sitting on a ball and I have no discharge or smell. I have two children 9 and 4.5. Heavy feeling in the abdomen and pelvic area.

Thank you for your question. It is an honor to be of some assistance to you. The symptoms you are describing are most consistent with some type of prolapse in the vagina. This is very common, even at your young age, especially with childbirth. What happens is the ligaments that used to hold up the walls of the vagina and the surrounding structures (uterus, cervix, bladder, rectum) become lax and stretch allowing those organs to prolapse into the vagina giving exactly the symptoms you describe here. Sometimes it needs to be elicited during a pelvic exam and if your doctor is not specifically looking for it she can miss it. My suggestion is to call her and explain exactly what you are feeling and make sure she evaluates you for this.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions in the future or to request me.

Remember, this communication does not replace a visit to the doctor.

Good Luck and Well Wishes,

Dr. Haver
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I used a vibrator 3 days before these symptoms appeared. Would that have anything to do with the problem?
No! Vibrators are very safe and as long as you use common sense it is really hard to hurt yourselves with them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been married for 12 years and not to my knowledge have, I foresure, and I don't think my husband have ever fooled around on eachother but are any of my symptoms Chlamydia related? Or am I just being paranoid because of the issue I am having in that region. I do have the sensation that I have to pee more often as well but the doctor gave me Macrobid 100mg for 7 days which I just finished. Also, I do not have a thryroid and have been dealing with my levels being off which he is trying to regulate.
Chlamydia is one of the least likely things that would cause anything like this. Hang in there! You can do this simple test. Go in the bathroom, wash your hands, undress and squat down on the floor for a couple of minutes. Then when you feel the pressure and discomfort, place your fingers in the vagina and see if you can feel a mass. If so, you have prolapse (for sure).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you suggested and felt a soft mass a pointer fingers length in. Would a proplaps cause irritation above the cervix?
Yes, definitely. I think it is time you made an appointment.......
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, the soft part that I felt is that the cervix or uterus? I don't know how it all works.

I am booked for an internal ultrasound in a month, long time to wait. Any suggestions on what I can do to relieve the discomfort inside. My husband is flying home from Afghanistan is a few days and we are going to Vegas for 3 nights and I don't want this to ruin our trip.

What you are feeling is likely the cervix - which is the very most bottom part of your uterus. It could also be the bladder or rectum, but those are usually felt just inside the vagina.

Make sure that you use lots of lubricant with your husband to decrease irritation and try to relax and have fun!

Good Luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX so stressed when I would read up on things and everything on the internet was mentioning Chlamydia and that is a silent STI. I was also paranoid because when I was 16, I had an HPV. Although with this I have no smell or discharge.
Of course you were stressed! The internet can be a very scary place. I am glad you found us.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last thing, is it normal to feel what I felt a pointer fingers length in, or should there be nothing to feel? And whatever I felt is sore now, is that normal?
You should not feel anything there, and that it is sore is your body telling you that something has changed and needs to be evaluated.
Mary Claire Haver, M. D., Doctor
Experience: U.S. Educated, Trained and Board Certified Obstetrician and Gynecologist practicing for 10 years
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for all your help I feel a lot better doing what you recommended, knowing that I am not going bonkers!
My pleasure!