Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 years of experience in OBGYN & women's health care.

I would like to take boric acid vaginal suppositories for recurring

Customer Question

I would like to take boric acid vaginal suppositories for recurring yeast infections. I would like to purchase pre-made suppositories. What brand would you recommend? I understand that the suppositories can cause some irritation. What product should I use in conjunction with the suppositories to reduce irritation?
Thanks you,
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.

The boric acid capsules are prepackage and the generic ones available at most big box drug stores (CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreen's) work well. I have not had an patient report irritation but it is important to wait the full 24 hours before inserting the next one. You can start by using one and wait 36 hours before inserting the second one to see it any irritation will develop. If there is no irritation after 48 hours then you can continue to use one every 24 hours.

Hope this is clear, if not let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. Just a couple more questions...How long should I use the suppositories, and once the problem is resolved, should I continue with an ongoing maitenance dose to prevent recurrence?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 6 years ago.
You should use the boric acid capsules (BAC) for 7-10 days, the length varies depending on how significant the infection/irritation/discharge. It is best to use the BAC when necessary and not chronically. It is important to note the vaginal environment is dependent on the natural vaginal flora (combination of bacteria and fungal organisms). So keeping the vagina cleansed naturally is the best wait to maintain good vaginal health. Diet, in particular the water content, can affect the vagina as well. So be sure you are drinking plenty of water. Normally you should drink at least 64 oz a day; as well as limiting caffeine intake, for every cup of caffeine you need an additional cup of water. After each 30-minute exercise period you should drink at least 20 oz of fluid to replenish what you have lost during sweating, avoid caffienated products.

Hope this is clearer. Don't forget to push the accept button for the answers given and so I can get credit for my time.