Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
28424515

How long does it take to digest a birth control pill? I took

How long does it take to digest a birth control pill? I took my pill at 10 am this morning and vomitted at around 10:45 pm. Do I need emergency contraception if I had unprotected sex yesterday afternoon?

Hello! My name isXXXXX and I will take the time to answer your question =)

If you vomited 12 hours AFTER you ingested your pill, the pill was properly absorbed into the body (typically this occurs under 2 hours) so you should not need emergency contraception

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I'm sorry. I meant 10 am and then I vomitted at 10:45 am. Does this effect your answer?

Ah... yes it does =) so 45 minutes is not enough time to full digest and absorb the pill... so yes, you will need to use emergency contraception such as plan B within 72 hours of having intercourse. I would also check a pregnancy test 1-2 weeks AFTER the start of your next period to know 100% you are in the clear