Dr.JBB
Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence
24231911

positive pregnancy test, lactaiting w no uterus

I am testing positive on home pregnancy tests, the results appeared right away with first morining urination. Also, showing positive right before bed with the line being faint. I am also lactaiting and engourged feeling. No let downs just drips so far. The last time this happened was with my first pregnancy over 6 years ago. What could be causing this now if i had my uterus removed almost 5 years ago? I have no tenderness or pain or bleeding. I also have spina bifida, have had a bladder augmentation, my left uretur re-implanted, total collectomy and illeostomy placed, IC, celiac and pluracy. I am very confused and would like to know. Any light shed on the topic is greatly appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 4 years ago.
Are the ovaries also removed along with the uterus?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, they are still in there along with my tubes.
Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 4 years ago.

First you need to verify this with a blood test and if it is positive, there are two possibilities. the first is that this could be an ectopic pregnancy if there is some kind of communication between the vagina and the abdominal cavity such as a fistula. This is not uncommon in someone who has had the surgeries you have had. The other possibility is an ovarian tumor which makes HCG. Either way, you need to have this evaluated. I would very much like to know what the outcome is. Good Luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thanks!

I was released today from hospital. They admitted me bc the OBGYN felt a mass on my left side from physical and pelvic exams and bc of nerve damage she was afraid I may have been in pain and just didn't feel it. They ran preg tests in the blood and a cbc and checked thyroid and prolactin and other horomones, they ordered ultrasounds and a CT.

The pregnancy tests were all negative in the blood and after two days also the urine. The cbc came back with normal wbc, normal horomones, thyroid was fine...but the h&h was normal but low normal they said upon arrival.

Ultrasound was too difficult to see bc of major scarring, internal and external so that was inconclusive. However, the CT scan showed a bright white circular mass near my right ovary and there was mass amounts of fluid in my pelvic and abdominal areas. They said the bright white indicated internal bleeding and the fluid was most likely blood.

Over the next few days they did lots of blood work, everytime they checked the h&h the numbers decreased but it stayed in "normal" range. My blood pressure also began to decrease but also stayed within a "normal" range. It always declined and never stayed the same or ever went back up.

Today I had a CT scan done and although the mass looks exactly the same and the bleeding as well, the abdominal cavity seems to have less fluid. The Dr. think it is a cyst that has a slow leak and will repair itself. She said though that the radiology doc said if he didn't know better it looks like and abdominal pregnancy that died and is bleeding, but bc of neg HCG she said it's just a cyst.

Do to the altered anatomy and increased risk of complications, they decided the best treatment is a non-invasive one. They are just going to see what it does on its own. They sent me home and said to take it easy and to see them again next week. They never explained why I am lactaiting or why the home preg tests were positive. They said they cant be for sure even where exactly the mass is or what exactly it is or why this happened. They said I am a mystery. I don't mind bc I have been told this very often from many drs. I would love to donate myself to medical study so that I can be a documented case just in case some one else out there needs someone to be compared to. That seems to be the issue w/ me.

I'm being followed up also by my oncologyst. I had some bilateral axillary area tumors, found to be benign, back in Oct and he had a breast MRI done today and I see him Monday. He seems to be interested in the whole case as well which worries me but I guess we'll have to see what's next.

Thanks so much and if there is any insight you can contribute based on the info provided it would be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Dr.JBB replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

Very interesting. I do agree with the plan. A laporoscopy with your previous surgeries would be a risk and since you are not in any acute distress, watching is the best bet. I have not idea what the mass is. I agree it sounds like it could have been a pregnancy but the HCG would still be positive. I do hope everything works out well for you.

Dr.JBB, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience: 15 yrs experience in Women's Health, Pelvic reconstruction and Incontinence
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much and just so u know I took a different preg test this morning at home and again it's positive. Don't know why the blood and tests at the hospital keep saying negative. My sister also took one just to compare to it and hers was negative. Very strange... Anyway, again thanks so much!!!