Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

Swollen itchy perineum and anus.

Swollen itchy perineum and anus.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Given your age - you probably have a yeast infection and I would recommend trying a product such as Monistat (miconazole) or Vagistat (tioconazole).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am because the swelling and itchiness has spread up more into my vagina. There are no discoloration of the skin, it is just swollen (reddish, pink) and very itchy. Do you think monistat would help even though I have tried everything else. The one thing that gets me is that my anus is extremely itchy then it spread.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This has been going on for a few years.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Since you have not tried an antifungal/antiyeast medication - you should try this and if this does not work after about 2 to 3 days, then you should seek help from your ob/gyn - but this sounds like a yeast/fungal infection.
But, since this has been going on for a few years and if this is not a yeast infection - then you need to be evaluated for dysplasia (pre cancer) or possibly a lichen dermatosis - and you will need a biopsy to evaluate both of these.
Please click on ACCEPT, if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do have a fibroadnoma in my left breast and have had ovarian assists, do you think I should see an MD asap? or should I try the yeast infection treatment first?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Fibroadenoma and ovarian cysts have nothing to do with your itching.
Try the yeast medication - and if not help you would need a biopsy of one or two of the itching areas to get a FIRM diagnosis so that you can get this treated appropriately.
Please click on ACCEPT, as this would be appreciated, thank you for your questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks