Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

hi i had a mirena coil fitted but im pregnant 2weeks , and

hi i had a mirena coil fitted but im pregnant 2weeks , and can i take the abortion pill with the coil fitted
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Yes you can take the abortion pill - but it probably will not work with the Mirena in place - you need to have the Mirena removed, take the abortion pill and then have the Mirena re-inserted.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i had the coil fitted while i was a week late , could there be a possabilty this will stop the pregnancy
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Wow - I would have never fitted an IUD if you were a week late - but many times when the Mirena is fitted and you are already pregnant - the Mirena just stays and I find the Mirena when the baby is born. The IUD that will cause an abortion is the Copper IUD - not the Mirena.
The Mirena might abort the baby - but very unlikely.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i realy need help , can i take the abotion pill if this coil is fitted @ why will the pill not work if the coil is in place .
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
I'm not saying the pill will not work, I'm saying it MIGHT not work with the IUD in place - I said, you have a BETTER chance of aborting with the pill IF YOU REMOVE the IUD first, and then AFTER you abort, then REPLACE the IUD - this will work much better that way - if you take the abortion pill with the IUD in place you risk having VERY severe pain, and even a severe infection - this is why I recommend removing the IUD first.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
cant go doctors for abortion i had 2 last year , was despate for coil fitted and must have caught few days before fitting !! , i havent any money for termanation !! but have ordered the abortion pill online , hoping to recieve within the next week !! how can i get my coil removed without going doctors ..please please help
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
You will need to pull the string to remove the IUD.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you know were i can get an abortion pill ?? just incase the online one fails to arrive ..thanx you
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
You can try an online pharmacy - but we can not write prescriptions here - it is illegal for us to do so.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
many thanxs for all your advice .
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Good luck