Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

i have sore nipples and breasts and my breasts feel heavier

i have sore nipples and breasts and my breasts feel "heavier" than usual, also nipples periodically wet. Am still getting periods(am on the pill), but had sex about 6-7 weeks ago, unprotected but for the pill. I have a two year old child already - when i was early on in my pregnancy with her, my breasts felt just like they do now. I've also been feeling very emotional lately - more easily teary than usual..!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
This could be a few things and I would definitely get your breasts examined by your doctor - but I would also do a couple of labs - you might have an elevated prolactin level - and this could be causing your breast symptoms and other emotions. This might also be a thyroid issue and this can also be check with a blood test called TSH. In addition, it is not uncommon to have emotional problems especially with a 2 year old and many women still can get post partum depression at this stage - I usually treat women with either Wellbutrin (one of my more favorite anti-depressants) or zoloft.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i definitely don't have post partum depression , i haven't had it at all, not even at the beginning- i mentioned the fact that i had a child to let you know that i've gone thru a pregnancy before, because it changes your body and it means i know what it feels like to be pregnant, etc.. i really just wanted to know if i should rule out pregnancy! Given that i've got my period at the moment and due to the fact that i usually get pmt for several days - i think that's all it is. The teariness i referred to wasn't sad/miserable/ depressed teariness - more that i've just been feeling a bit "soft" recently. My daughter and i have a really close bond, and she's been particularly adorable lately - sometimes she makes me so happy i can almost feel tears well up! Next time i see my doctor i'll mention the sensitive breasts - but they don't really bother me, generally speaking, i feel great.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
I was trying to answer your question with all the possibilities - I'm sorry if I offended you by bringing up postpartum depression - but it is on the differential diagnosis and something to be considered along with anxiety. Thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
oh no i wasn't offended don't worry ;) - i was just wondering whether pregnancy was something to consider, that's all. I know pregnant women can feel a bit pmt-ish, so i wondered if i had mistaken early pregnancy for pmt!? Nevermind , no harm done.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
This might be a pregnancy - but usually I assume a woman does a pregnancy test prior to asking. But, this could also be PMS - premenstrual type symptoms too.
Thank you for the response back.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my nose has been bit stuffy too...... i bought a preg test the other day, but silly me forgot to check it for about half an hour so it wasn't valid anymore!? Will have to go get another one tomorrow! Maybe i'm overreacting - seeing as i take the pill, I wouldn't have thought it likely.....
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Usually you want to check a pregnancy test within 5 to 10 minutes.
Most likely you are not pregnant given what you have told me.
Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated and if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you for your questions.