Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.

I began noticing some small white uncomfortable bumps around

Customer Question

I began noticing some small white uncomfortable bumps around my anus, which accompanied hemrhoids during pregnancy. I was told they would go away after the birth, but they have not. I am now 9 months postpardum and I have developed more. Most recently (in the last 3 months) on my clitoris, inner vaginal lips and the top of my vagina almost in the hair. They were just uncomfortable at first, but now my vagina is very sore, itchy, burning and the bump on my clitoris is extremely painful. I don't want to have to go see a doctor if it is just a strange yeast infection. My husband and I are monogamous and I never had an abnormal pap smear until I got pregnant. My OB said that was fairly common to have an abnormal pap smear during pregnancy. Any ideas about what's going on?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. Are these bumps hard or soft? Do they appear dry? Are they painful to touch? Did you ever have them before your abnormal pap smear? Have you been stressed or ill lately? Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they are hard, slightly raised, almost like a hard skin tag, very small (slightly larger than a pin head) white in color. they are painful to touch only sometimes (like now) and are dry, do not appear to be "filled" with anything. The first ones around my anus showed up about 4-6 months after my abnormal pap (done at the same visit where I found out I was pregnant. went in for my yearly and discovered I was 5 weeks pregnant with baby 2). I have Polycystic ovarian syndrome and was told I could not have children. anyways, I never had them before this first event. I have been very stressed (new baby, severe postpardum depression, trying to get my business started, son started school this year) They didn't really concern me since my OB had seen the ones on my anus and said it didn't appear to be anything to worry about. She said it may just be part of the hemmroids. but now they are on my vagina which has become very red and irritated with a few small lesions (probably from the uncontrollable scratching, though I am trying) It itches all over the vulva, but expecially between the outer and inner lips, the perinium and just inside the vaginal opening.

Thank you for the additional information. From this information, it sounds as if you have genital warts. They are caused by HPV, Human Papilloma Virus. There are 100's of strains of HPV, some cause genital warts, some cause pap smear abnormalities that can go on to cause cancer of the cervix, vagina, labia, or anus. Now that you have this virus, it is important that you have yearly visits to make sure you do not develop signs of cancer and more frequently when recommended by your doctor. If your doctor has recommended colposcopy, this is an important follow up to abnormal pap smears that allows us to determine when it seems that progression towards cancer is occurring and we would offer treatments to prevent cancer.

Now on to your question...As far as the genital warts, these can occur anytime after contracting the virus. No one can say when you contracted the virus, but if you have had it for several years it is likely that the reduced immunity state associated with pregnancy led to your initial outbreak of warts. Currently, your stress level has led to the development of more genital warts. I recommend you visit your ob/gyn as your postpartum depression needs to be evaluated and treated since it is severe. You can also be prescribed Aldara or Condylox to treat the warts. Be careful with scratching because one can develop a skin infection which would make antibiotics also necessary. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions if necessary. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I looked up pictures of genital warts and it is not at all similar. I mostly have them around the anus. There is only one on my vagina and it is on my clitoris. it doesn't have the "cauliflower like" appearance at all. I should just go anyways, I suppose.
They do not always look like the huge cauliflower warts you see in the pictures. Some are very small white bumps. The difference in the appearance depends on which strain of the virus you have. Your description sounds like genital warts; your strain just may not be as disfiguring as others.