Monika Hearne, M.D.
Monika Hearne, M.D., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  With experience and compassion, I treat my patients like family.
26166488

cause of lower right side pain following a c-section/tubal

Customer Question

cause of lower right side pain following a c-section/tubal ligation.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Monika Hearne, M.D. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I would be happy to assist you. Please tell me more about your pain. Do you have other symptoms like nausea/vomiting/poor appetite/fevers? When was your c-section ad when did your pain start? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i had a c section in sept of 2008 and also a tubal ligation. the pain has been there since then and noticed it seems to be worse at the start of menstruation and also during ovulation. as time passes the pain becomes worse every month sometimes coming on suddenly and being excrutiatingly painful and then can suddenly disappear. feels almost like a twisting pain. this month have had it daily sometimes just a dull pain and escalates to being so painful that i can't move around.
Thank you for the additional information. The possible reasons for your pain include endometriosis and adhesions. Endometriosis is a condition where the uterine lining is inside the abdomen and is unable to shed with your periods. It causes pain during your period which can sometimes be severe. Treatment would be hormones, like birth control. However, if you'd rather not take hormones, you can have your doctor perform a minor surgery laparoscopically to confirm endometriosis/adhesions and remove them (possibly would have to remove the entire ovary). Adhesions is scar tissue which forms inside the abdomen after surgery. It causes your organs to be stuck to places where it is not normally located which causes pain. Treatment for adhesions is exercise and stretching to try to stretch them out and surgery. Just as above, your doctor can look laparoscopically and remove any adhesions (possibly the entire ovary if necessary) in order to improve your pain. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions if necessary. Best wishes.