Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator

My vagina feels raw/sore and hurts when I wipe

I recently noticed that my vagina feels raw/sore when I wipe after using the restroom, slight swelling, I have also noticed a slight white discharge (which I've noticed in the past before), and a mild to nothing itch. In a way, it feels like I am wearing a tampon. I am leaning towards a possible yeast infection but am not sure. This started Sunday night (Jan 7, 2010), Don't know if this is related but I did shave my vaginal (dry shaved) and I noticed that I had cut myself and thats when the symptoms started. However, I am not sure if this is shaving related or something more serious. Your input would be appreciated.
Thank you.

I would be happy to help

Any redness that you can see? Any bumps?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not that I can see, no.
are you sexually active? if so does this rawness worsen after intercourse?

do you feel raw on the 'inside' of your vagina or is it more near the outside (labial)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sexually active, but I am in a relationship and have only had sex with my partner. The raw/soreness feels like its inside. The feeling isnt affected too much by hand touch, mostly by toilet paper touch...if that makes since.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im sorry, the soreness did appear to worsen after intercourse. The last time I had intercourse was last Sunday.
does the discharge have an odor to it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no not really

- Yeast infection definitely a possibility... I would start with over the counter monistat creams which usually do the trick... give it a week or so... if not improvement after the cream, you will need a doctors appointment to get a prescription for something more potent like diflucan (fluconazole pills)

- Less likely but still possible -- bacterial vaginosis... your doctor will check for this if the monistat doesn't work.

Until this gets cleared up I would avoid intercourse as the friction tends to irritate the vagina... if you do have intercourse use LOTS of lube

Best Wishes and Hope you feel better.