Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
28424515

Why do I have a watery period?

Customer Question

Why do I have a watery period?

Already Tried:
I had sex with my boyfriend 1 month ago, and had 2 periods since, but they both have been watery. Substantial amount of flow, but watery...why?

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Greetings.

Is there any smell in the flow?

Any vaginal itching?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

nothing else out of the normal...i thought that it could be pregnancy but is that a symptom? I don't have any other symptoms, and I took a test that came out negative...

my past two periods have had same flow, but its been watery almost. i had sex with my boyfriend right before the first period came like and I am concerned as to what it would be. We had protected sex.

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.
I would be happy to assist!

Any clots? Is it just very 'watery' blood?

Are you on any medications like birth control pills?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no clots...just watery blood...and yea i've been on birth control for a couple of years now...nothing like this has happened before though
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.
And just to clarify, it is just watery periods correct? No irregular bleeding between cycles?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, no irregular bleeding...just the watery period...
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.

- I wouldn't be overly concerned with this. As long as your periods are REGULAR, that is the most important thing. Subtle changes in estrogen and progesterone levels can cause changes in the 'consistency ' of periods (from stress, dietary changes, etc.)... some have heavy clotty periods, others watery... and the 'quality' of a woman's period can also change during their lifetime.

-- Intercourse would have no affect on your period... miscarriages typically have very heavy, clotty, crampy bleeding... so I don't think that is an explanation.

So again, I wouldn't worry too much here as long as the periods are regular =)

If you need any clarification or have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so it couldn't be pregnancy?

and by regular, do you mean they are not late or early? because it has come regular. but, sorry if this is TMI, on my pad it looks like there's been a lot of bleeding but soaked through the pad

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.
I am an OB/GYN -- I do this for a living.. no such thing as "TMI' for me =)

-- very doubtful... again 'miscarriages' tend to be heavy and clotty, not watery and occur one time. If it happens in more than one period, it is not pregnancy or a miscarriages. A urine pregnancy test is an easy way to set your mind at east here =) Again, I think, unfortunately, your hormone levels have changed slightly to give you heavier watery periods.. one possibility would be to try and switch birth control pills to one with more estrogen (ortho cyclen is a cheap option)... but I don't think this is anything to worry about =)

~ Dr. AJ
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok so if they are not regular, is it pregnancy? i took a pregnancy test but i think i messed it up...i accidentaly put it on the table to wait upside down, so could that be the reason it showed a negative? and I just got off the pill, would that also cause irregular periods?
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.

-- If you just got off the pill, that by itself may have caused your periods to be watery and irregular. MANY women have irregular periods and are not pregnant!

-- It doesn't matter if the pregnancy test was upside down... but to make yourself feel better I would try another one.

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ