Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate

I have vagina cysts, a fibroid 5.2 cm in my uterus and cysts

I have vagina cysts, a fibroid 5.2 cm in my uterus and cysts on both my ovaries. I've had sonohistograms and endometrial biopsies. I am 51 years old, premenopausal. In August 2009 I began having issues with my thyorid. The right side was aspirated twice (August & January 2010- it was 4 cm. My blood work indicates normal thyroid function. I have had my period twice in a calendar year lasting 7 days - heavy bleeding, cramping, clots, etc. I experience pressure and discomfort in the pelvic area, periodic bouts of dizziness, and pain down my right leg. Both my GP and OB/GYN said there is something "sub-clinical" going on and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy. I am a very healthy woman, I've been dealing with gynecological issues for many years the thyroidal cyst and aspiration began august 2009. Could there be something else that I should have checked? I see my doctors once a year and now every 6 months. I must emphasize that I'm very healthy so I'm concerned. Menopause? something else?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
Let me start out by saying that yes this could be menopause as menopause occurs around the age of 51 plus/minus 2 years on average for at least 68% of the population of women. I can understand your concern - now with a normal SIS - sonoinfusion histogram - you do not have polyps. But, you do have a large fibroid - but nothing that would be concerning in terms of cancer and since you are so close to menopause - the option would be yours if you would want to remove this fibroid with a hysterectomy or leave it alone - there would be a benefit though to removing your uterus in 2 ways - ONE: no more bleeding, TWO: you can then use estrogen ALONE as hormone replacement if you would like withOUT fear of increased risk of breast cancer. And, I can understand if you would not like a hysterectomy - but most hysterectomies can be done minimally invasive (such as vaginally or laparoscopically).
If you have additional questions, please ask. Please click on ACCEPT, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does the thyroid play into my symptoms and or the colon? Is the colonscopy just because I'm 50+ or would that play into anything? There is a possibility of having 1/2 my thyroid removed - how does that play into the menopause issue?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
With a normal thyroid level - unlikely this would be causing your bleeding issues - usually a hypoactive (hypothyroidism - elevated TSH and low Free T4) would cause this irregular bleeding. Unlikely a colonoscopy too (they are fun - I'm glad I did not remember mine - sedated!) - also, the thyroid will not affect menopause - menopause by the way is really defined as no period for 12 consecutive months - however - the definition gets 'blurred' when you look at vaginal dryness, irritability, moodiness, and hot flashes. The big thing for you is - how bad is the bleeding making you, are you miserable with the bleeding, and do you want to keep your uterus or have it removed - these are all personal questions.