dr. mary
dr. mary, Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  residency trained in ob/gyn. board certified in ob/gyn. 15 yrs experience

I have had 6 or 7 yeast infections in the past year. The pill

Customer Question

I have had 6 or 7 yeast infections in the past year. The pill seemed to trigger them so I went off it. I have taken 3 antibiotics in the past three months and have had yeast infections every time. Help!!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  dr. mary replied 6 years ago.
have you had a culture that was positive for yeast?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, on Thursday I went in and had a pelvic exam and a culture. She said the inside of my vagina was "coated" with yeast.
Expert:  dr. mary replied 6 years ago.

ok. Some women are prone to yeast infections and it sounds like you have a lot of experience in that department. Yeast vaginitis is misery indeed. One thing that i think would be helpful for you it to take a diflucan on the last day of any antibiotic treatment that you receive. In some cases, that will keep you from developing a yeast infection. Probably by day 7 of the diflucan you will feel better. Have you been checked for diabetes? Sometimes, diabetes presents as frequent yeast infections.

The reason i asked you whether you a positive yeast culture is that there is a similar condition to yeast but is treated differently.. Many time patients present to the office with a complaint of yeast infection but the culture is negative. Most times the culture is positive for group b strep (a bacteria that many women carry) or will say "large number of normal vaginal flora". This condition is called desquamative vaginal inflammation. It is treated with an antibiotic cream vaginally for 14 days and then with vaginal estrogen cream twice a week for 3 months.

If you're issue is purely yeast, then using diflucan at the conclusion of antibiotics will probably help. Sometimes, ladies need an entire year of antifungal therapy to totally get rid of yeast.

I hope this answer was helpful.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. One quick clarification: I am a strep B carrier. I found out when my daughter was born. She was infected and spent 10 days in the hospital. For my second pregnancy they put me on antibiotics during the last 12 weeks so I wouldn't pass it on to her. Is this the same strep B you referred to in you reply? And my doctor did mention diabetes and I am going in on February 11th for my yearly which will include blood work.
Expert:  dr. mary replied 6 years ago.

yes, it is the same group b strep. it usually doesn't cause problems except for childbirth issues. however, in a select group of patients with recurring yeast type symptoms, it can be the culprit