Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator

I have a Mirena IUD. It expired 3 years ago. What are the risks

I have a Mirena IUD. It expired 3 years ago. What are the risks of it not being removed? I saw my doctor to get a new one put in and paid 900.00 for the replacement. She then told me I had to have a pap smear before she could put it in or remove the old one. My pap came back abnormal and I cannot afford anymore doctor visits. I am now experiencing severe cramps on my right side that go down my leg. Is this related to my mirena?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 6 years ago.

I would be happy to assist

Any foreign object in the uterus could be a place where bacteria could attach and cause an infection - Most people would recommend you removing it after expiry... nothing may happen, but I wouldn't want my wife to have an expired Mirena in for a long time because I wouldn't want her to develop some kind of uterine infection.

That being said, severe 'cramping' is unlikely due to your Mirena.... even though it 'expires' after 5 years, the hormones can last a lot longer than that - its just that it is GAURANTEED to last 5 years.... what is most likely happening is that the Mirena hormones have finally completely 'ran out' and the cramping is most likely from that.

I know you already paid for your doctor's visit; however, if you paid 900 bucks for a replacement mirena, it makes sense to get it placed and the other removed. while not emergent, I would suggest doing this in the next few months once you have money saved up.

If you need any clarification or have any other questions please feel free to ask. If you are satisfied with my response please click ACCEPT so I get credit for my time helping you; bonuses and/or FEEDBACK are most welcome. Thank you!

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ