Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

how long does it take for the depo provera to leave the body

how long does it take for the depo provera to leave the body system?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Depo provera is out of the system 14 weeks after the last dose ( but you are told to have a repeat injection every 12 weeks). I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So I probuly wouldn't be able to conceive till after the 14 week period is over to let the shot (depo provera) get out of my system or is it very possible I can?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
You can actually try as soon as you want, because if you get pregnant, the depo provera will NOT stop the pregnancy, it will actually ENHANCE the pregnancy. This is because when you do get pregnant - you have an ovarian cyst called the corpus luteum cyst that produces progesterone and this is needs to keep you pregnant (so depo provera is a progesterone too). I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT, thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I heard that once you stop the shot you probuly wont beable to conceive right away because the shot dont leave your system for about 6 months and and i probuly won't be able to get pregnant for about a year. With your experiences how true is this?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Yes, very true, it can take 6 to 12 months to conceive - that's about 70 to 80% of women who take that long. Thanks for the accept.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How possible it is to become pregnant right after the shot?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
It is possible - but the chance is low.