Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
28424515

I had unprotected sex and starting to fell burning sensation

I had unprotected sex and starting to fell burning sensation and redness in my vagina 2 to 4 hours after the intercourse... My boyfriend was rough and I had cuts in the perineum area. One day later I had one episode of diarrhea. 3 days later I don’t have cuts anymore, but still have swelling on the bottom of my labia minora and they look like folds and burning sensation, and my inner thighs feels hot and the discharge is milky. I defecate more than the usual but no more diarrhea. Is it possible that i made it worth by touching the area too often or could it be a sign of genital herpes? Can std's symptoms showed up that quickly? The symptoms showed up just 2 to 4hours after intercourse... I had genital intercourse around 6 to 7 am and when I woke up 3 hours later I had the symptoms.
I also had shaved the same day as I had the intercourse, I had done it in the pass and haven't had problem with it, it was also the first time i had intercourse with my boyfriend.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
I would be happy to assist -

First, any medical problems? Are you on any medications?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had a UTI and finished taking nitrofurant antibiotic on January 11 and had the intercourse on the 17. I also take ambien for sleeping
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.

There are a couple of possibilities here -

Sex can often cause micro-tears in the vaginal mucosa (basically the inside of the vagina), labia, and near the anus that can be quite uncomfortable.. it can occur more frequently when you haven't had intercourse in some time. You might even notice burning with urination because the urine, which is acidic, can touch the cuts and cause pain. Often within a day or two of this happening, labial swelling and redness along with pain is very common. I would recommend increasing lubrication (KY jelly works well) during intercourse to decrease the occurrence of this. In the meanwhile, I would avoid intercourse for at least a week or two to allow these cuts to heal. Occasionally, I will offer my patients a short term course of vaginal estrogen cream to help the vaginal 'skin' heal faster.

Another possibility includes a yeast infection. Yeast infections typically occur inside the vagina but often can also occur on the outside. The skin near this area can get raw and burn/itch pretty intensely. Over the counter yeast creams like monistat is a great first step; however, if it doesn't improve, I would ask your doctor for a prescription of diflucan - this medicine is more powerful and tends to kill the yeast quite well. However, because this all occurred after intercourse, I would definitely lean more towards microtears than infection.

While I cannot 100% say it is not an STD without seeing it myself, it does not sound typical of an STD.. Herpes have blisters and hurt, Genital warts and sympilis have 'bumps' but don't hurt... Gonorrhea/chlamydia cause discharge from the cervix. Your symptoms do not match up with any of these common STDs.... and although symptoms can arise quickly, most often it takes days to weeks for any symptoms to come up. Again, this does NOT sound like an STD.

If you do develop blisters in the area, I would have a doctor 'swab' the area to look for herpes... but I doubt this would happen as this is most consistent with 'trauma' from intercourse.

The diarrhea I think is unrelated to any of this (diarrhea does not accompany STDs or vaginal/labial tears from intercourse.)

If you need any clarification or have any other questions please feel free to ask. If you are satisfied with my response please click 'ACCEPT'; bonuses and/or FEEDBACK are most welcome. Thank you!

Best Wishes,

Dr. AJ

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What about the warm feelings on my right inner thigh? Could herpes outbreak be just swelling and burning sensation, if yes what are the probability it will show up like that. Instead of the cuts, the bottom of the labia minora is swollen , and had folds

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.

The micro tears are microscopic tears and the swelling and burning is the result of an immune response to the area on top of skin irritation. That is why I think the labia minora are swollen. When the immune system responds, you typically get swelling and the area can turn red and warm (results from blood vessel dilation). This is normal for micro-tears.

This really does not sound like a herpes outbreak at all... on initial presentation herpes is often a lot more limited than what you are describing - and you aren't describing the class blisters. The swelling and burning is much more consistent with skin damage from micro tears (If the intercourse happened suddenly, you wouldn't have had the chance to naturally lubricate, making this more likely.)

I hope that is more clear. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Again, what about the warm feelings on the right inner thigh? How come I still have symptoms 3 days later, and the burning sensation feels like its the all vigina, but not painful, and piing doesn"t cause more discomfort. Is it normal that micro tears symptoms last that long and not getting better? I had had yeast infections in the pass but they resolved quickly on their own.

I know I'm dragging on but I cant see a doctor till saturday and I'm worried as I have had cuts in the pass but resolved witihin a day

Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
Three days later after the rough intercourse I would be expecting areas that may have been injured to be getting better. That being said though, it is possible that quite a bit of damage was done and it is taking you awhile to heal. The fact that your labia are swollen and your inner right thigh is warm make me think of injury and also infection. You could try applying ice packs to the area and see if this helps relieve some of the swelling and pain. If however the redness persists as well as a milky white discharge and swollen labia, I would consider the possibility of an infection. Again, this does not sound like any STD I can think of but more similar to damaged tissue that has become infected. It's hard for me to say without actually seeing your thigh/labia/and discharge but what I would recommend in the meantime before you get to a doctor-- take a marking pen and trace the outline of the redness on your thigh. We often do this so we can moniter if the redness is increasing or getting better. You will be able to see for yourself if it is getting worse or better and be able to report to your doctor a bit better as well. I hope this has helped. . .again, I don't think it's an STD. Sounds more like some trauma to the vaginal area with the possibility of a secondary infection. Take care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it's infection, what type of infections could it be? Again the symptoms appear within hours of the intercouse? and How could it radiate on my thigh? The reason I have been mentioning herpes is because, it's the only one that can not cure, so before to go to the doctor, I really wabt to rule out genital herpes. The warm/hot sensation is still on my thigh but less dicomfort on my vagina area.

You have been very helpful and will add a bonus for your time and your clarification

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.

Don't worry about the amount of questions :) I am here to help. I don't feel that it is herpes-- the area of redness and warmth would not typically be localized to one side and often times you would see genital blisters that are quite painful. The symptoms you describe just aren't consistent with genital herpes. You could have a bacterial infection in your skin (staph is a common one) secondary to sites of entry-- minor cuts from rough sex. It is not strange to me that your labia would have felt swollen and there would be a burning sensation within hours of intercourse. Much like if you were to sprain your ankle, it takes a bit of time for the tissue to swell and become red-- usually a couple of hours is enough time for things to start to show. The vagina is very close to the thigh and if you have an infection of the skin of your vagina it is possible for it to radiate to your leg. Again, I would recommend marking the redness with a pen so we can check progress and also trying some ice packs to your vaginal area and thigh (you can sit with it in between your legs) to see if you can find a bit of relief from that. Ibuprofen might be helpful as well. If you start running a temperature or develop nausea/vomiting or chills I would recommend seeing a doctor (for concern of infection). Take care. . .and heal soon! :)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already discuss the issue with another expert on this site but i wanted a seconde opinion, she suggested dermatitis, what is your opion on that?

Last question, promise

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
It could be a dermatitis but I was just thinking with the swollen and painful labia after rough sex it just didn't quite fit in my mind. . .unless you used a condom which was latex and you have an allergy? Or used any new products (either sex toys or lubricant?)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not use condom or anything of that naturea and no sex toys or lubricant. I was sleeping and when I woke up he was on top of me...

You mentioned earlier that its could be an infection... waht type of infection could start that fast?

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
Any break in the skin, even microscopic, can cause the normal 'bacteria' in the skin to get in there and potentially cause an infection.. most common culprits are bacteria like Staph epidermidis, Staph aureus, some strep species... The 'marking' test with a pen is what we use to diagnose this kind of infection (official term is a cellulitis).

Again, it is POSSIBLY a superficial skin cellulitis, but you are right, typically they do not start this fast. I wanted to provide you with information about the different possibilities, and this would be one of them.

If you didn't use any lubricants, condoms, etc, allergic reaction is definitely eliminated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the infection could last more than 3 days and not get better? in the case of cellulitis?

and if the agents (staph or strep) where presen how long woul it take to heal?

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
Lots of ifs... here =)

IF it is a celluliitis, it will need antibiotics to get better... typically once started there is a rapid resolution in symptoms of the infection within a few days....

google image some cellulitis pics to see if this looks like what you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what about staph or strep, would it be norml to still have the symptoms 3 days later?
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
Yes, absolutely. Again IF it was a cellulitis caused by any of those bacteria, it could potentially last for days and slowly spread.
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience: Accomplished Physician and Educator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Day 4, I bought Monistat 7 and applied it on the swollen area and it reduced the swelling but I still have burning sensation. I also started to feel tingling sensation all over my body (fingers, feet, tongue, face, legs, buttock etc...) I have had tingling in the pass with no other symptoms), so I don't know if it related to my burning lower part of labia minora or not. I'm also a smoker, and since the high level of stress I have been having due my vagina problem, I have been smoking more than the usual. I haven't been able to sleep much and I have an appointment at Planned Parenthood on Saturday, but meantime. I need some input on my condition. Please read all the messages I have exchange with Dr Aj to have a full understanding of my condition. I will add bonus for the help.

Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.
My only other thought before you go to planned parenthood would be to try and use 1% hydrocortisone cream over the area in an attempt to reduce the inflammation. It is good the monistat reduced the swelling so I would continue using this as well. you will need a thorough exam on Saturday thought so keep that appointment!

I would really try and cut back on the smoking... i honestly do not know what to make about 'tingling all over your body'; again, a full exam by your physician should be able to discern the cause... these creams are designed to at the very least reduce the pain/burning/swelling until you go!

Best of luck, Let me know if I can help anymore

~ Dr. AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just got back from planned parenthood. The nurse practitioner look at my swelling and did a swab, but I will get the result in one week. She said it doesn't look like herpes but again symptoms are different from one person to another. she ruled out other infections, such as cellulitis. She said that if it was herpes, I would be in my healing period. She did no prescribe me anything. And as for a blood test I would need to wait 3 months to get good result. The problem is I'm still swollen down there and on top of it, I have more tingling, and body aches, all over my body. I found that, it's called predorm symptoms of herpes. The swelling is just the same. I'm still stressed out, and I have to wait a long week t get my results. How long the predorm period is suppose to last? How come I have the predorm symptoms after the swelling? I read that the predorm period is supposed to indicate that the outbreak is coming but in my case, it came after "the swelling/outbreak".
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.

Dollhouse, i'm sorry I didn't respond earlier, was out of town yesterday.

If it is herpes, the prodrome period can last up to 2 weeks (more many over a week); however, as you pointed out, the prodrome typically happens BEFORE the outbreak although in some cases and can pop up during the outbreak as well which MIGHT explain your situation. The other possibility though is this is completely unrelated to your vaginal redness - it is winter and there are many colds/viruses right now, so you have gotten one of those and are having symptoms that 'fit a prodrome' but isn't actually one.

I hope this helps. Keep me uptodate about your progress.

~ Dr. AJ

Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will keep you update of my results

Thank you for your input.
Expert:  Dr. Zach replied 4 years ago.

You are welcome!