Dr. Zach
Dr. Zach, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Accomplished Physician and Educator
28424515

I have a fishy smell odor and white/milky discharge coming

I have a fishy smell odor and white/milky discharge coming from my vagina for about 7 months now. I got tested for infections and stds and everything came back normal. This is ruining my sex life with my partner of 3 years because the smell is so strong. I am a clean girl and never had anything more then a yeast infection down there and I know it's not yeast. Any ideas?
Thanks :)
What you have sounds very suspicious for bacterial vaginosis. It is not an infection but rather an imbalance of bacteria (basically the normal bacteria of the vagina gets overtaken by another one and the pH of the vagina is shifted as well). It is often associated with a fishy odor that worsens during sex and a whitish/grey discharge. Sometimes people even have itching. In any case, it is easily treated with an antibiotic called Flagyl (Metronidazole). You can be reassured that since this is not an infection you cannot pass it on to your boyfriend. I hope this helps. If you need any clarification or have any other questions please feel free to ask. If you are satisfied with my response please click 'ACCEPT'; bonuses and/or feedback are most welcome. Thank you.