Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Can you take Clomid (50mg) on days 2-6 instead of days 3-7

Can you take Clomid (50mg) on days 2-6 instead of days 3-7? Also, I just got my period today and will start the Clomid. I travel a lot for business, so I'm wondering if I take the clomid on days 2-6, what 2 days would be our best bet (since I'll be out of town)?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 7 years ago.
When you ask what 2 days would be your best bet, do you mean for having sex? Do you know if and when you ovulate? Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, what would be the best 2 days to have sex since I'll be out of town quite a bit this month. I'm normally ovulate on day 11 or 12 (we got pregnant last time when we had sex on those two days). However, I haven't had a period since Nov. 20th for some reason. My doctor put me on Provera and I took the provera for 10 days starting Christmas Day and last pill was on Jan. 3rd. I just started my period today.
As to your first question, we have the most experience using Clomid day 3-7 or 5-10. Taking Clomid results in extra pituitary stimulation of the ovary. I think that starting on day 3 mimics your natural cycle better. It might work starting on day 2, but we have less experience. As to traveling and timing, if this is your first time taking Clomid, there is no way to know just when you will ovulate. Most women ovulate about 1 week after taking the last Clomid tablet, but there's a lot of variation, so it could be 2-3 days before or after that. And ovulation day is often different on Clomid than it was without Clomid. If you are able to detect ovulation, either by cervical mucous changes or ovulation predictor kit, that will help a lot. If you'll be gone on day 14 but home on day 13, it might work to use the Clomid day 2-6, but it's not very predictable. If you can tell when you ovulate this first cycle, it will probably be similar the next cycle of Clomid. I hope that's helpful.