How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Category: OB GYN
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
Type Your OB GYN Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a painful swollen spot on my labia-what could it be

This answer was rated:

I have a painful swollen spot on my labia-what could it be?


Can you tell me exactly where this is?

Closer to your rectum or where you urinate?

How big is it?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's on my left labia around the middle of it on the inside. It's small, smaller than a pea, but the swollen area makes the left labia about 4 times the size of the right one.


Is it in the hairy area or just inside the vagina of this area?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is NOT in my vagina and NOT in an area with hair. Am I not understanding what labia are? Or are YOU not understanding?
I'm just trying to figure out exactly where this is located- because there are different problems depending where in your anatomy this is located. So, since this is painful, most likely this is an inflammed hair follilce - it could be dysplasia (precancer - although very unlikely), it could be an inclusion cyst - very unlikely - usually occurs just inside the hair line from the labia minora (not the labia majora - which contains the hair). However, if this is lower - this might be a bartholin's gland cyst - and if so, this should be drained to relieve the pain. I hope this helps, but I was just trying to clarify things - realized I can not do an exam here. Thank you for your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think this could be an inflamed hair follicle, because, as I said, it is not in an area with hair. I don't know how to explain where it is any better unless I could point it out on a diagram or something. What is a bartholin's gland cyst?
I'm sorry - I though it was in the hairy area.
The bartholin cyst usually occurs in the lower portion of the vagina - but the cyst can be felt through out the labia minora and labia majorum and closer to the rectum (so lower portion of the vagina).
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This is not close to the rectum at all, so I guess I just don't know anantomy well enough to explain right where it is. It is on the outside "flap" of pink flesh outside the vagina. When I press the outsides of this flap with thumb and forefinger, I can feel a little lump and it is very painful and the whole "flap" of flesh is swollen. Is there a picture I can look at to point this out to you?
Okay - let's simplify this
Is it the Left or Right side?
How close to where you urinate from?
Is it Inside the vagina or outside the vagina?
You said NOT hairy part - but if not hairy part, this is inside the vagina?
(by definition) the vagina does not have hair, the vulva does...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Left side. Near the urethra opening. I would say between the urethra opening and the vaginal opening. Outside the vagina. On what I think is called the labia minora. Not all of the vulva has hair. are you an obgyn?
Yes, I'm an ob/gyn in the U.S. (in Virginia) - this is either a Skene's gland cyst or a caruncle (a cyst on the urethra - usually this does not hurt), or this can be an infection - but most likely a skene cyst - I don't expect you to understand the full anatomy - leave that to your ob/gyn - but, what you need is to have this evaluated and possibly 'opened' to relieve the pressure and to drain the cyst - this usually occurs from a blocked duct because this is one of the glands that helps lubricate you. Sorry for all the confusion.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, you're saying it could be a skene's gland cyst or an infection? So you don't think it's a bartholin cyst? Is my only option going to an obgyn for diagnosis?
A Bartholin's gland duct cyst is not anywhere near the urethra - a bartholin's is towards the bottom of your vagina (closer to your anus/rectum). You can try do warm compresses to see if the cyst starts to drain, sometimes it will.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it possible for this to go away on it's own?
Yes, it is possible.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How long would it take maybe, and are there any things I can do at home to relieve the pain and swelling?
You can try using warm soaks, warm baths. Also, you can use motrin (ibuprofen), Alleve (naprosyn) or tyelnol (acetominophen) for pain. And, you can try 'numbing' sprays such as hurricaine spray, solarcaine, etc and this might help too. I hope this all helps, Please click on ACCEPT, as this would be appreciated for the time I have spent on your questions, thank you.
Dr. Owen and other OB GYN Specialists are ready to help you