Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

what could cause fluid by cervix

what could cause fluid by cervix
Are you having discharge?
What color is it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No discharge at all, no symptoms at all
I don't understand what you mean by "fluid by cervix" ? Can you explain?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went for annual exam, pap test, mammogram, and went back today for results. NP said everything was fine, except on transvaginal sonogram( which had been ordered by another doctor following a colonoscopy) it appeared that there was some fluid by my cervix- and she didn't know why- so scheduled me for a follow up - so I am curious as to what it might be
Okay - you have fluid in the 'Posterior - cul-de-sac' this is why a Nurse Practioner should NOT be discussing results of an ultrasound because they do not understand the physiology of why this happens - and a doctor (Ob/Gyn) would be able to give you an answer fairly quick. You most likely have a physiological fluid - this is normal for women. However, if there is a large amount of fluid, this could signal an ovarian cyst - and this is why a doctor (ob/gyn) should be doing the ultrasound or discusssing this so that the doctor can look at both ovaries and check to make sure they are normal. If due to the the cervix itself, this could be fluid within the canal - and if your other testing is normal, then nothing to be concerned about. This could also be a nabothian cyst in or on the cervix - a nabothian cyst is basically a pimple on the cervix.
I hope this helps, please click on ACCEPT, thank you for your question.