Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, OB/GYN (Doctor)
Experience:  Board Certified: Ob/Gyn & Preventive medicine, US Medical Graduate
18703594

What does it mean if your menstrual blood smells like feces

What does it mean if your menstrual blood smells like feces? I began menstruating today, and with no other symptoms, there is the foulist odor...like feces. I am quite disturbed!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.

Have you ever had a child delivered vaginally?

How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have delivered 2 children vaginally...they are currently 8 and 9 years old. This is the first time this has happened to me...I began me cycle today, noticed it today.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.

The main and most common reason for this is called a Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) infection - and this is treated with Flagyl (metronidazole), or Cleocin (clindamycin) and this comes in pill or ointment/cream form. This can be tested for by your ob/gyn.

Another reason would be from a 'fistula' - a small tiny hole from your rectum to your vagina - and usually associated with women who have had very LARGE babies.

So, make an appointment to see your ob/gyn this week and this should be taken care of fairly quick.

Please CLICK on ACCEPT, thank you for your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already accepted your answer yesterday 1/2/10 at 1:06pm EST and payment was transferred when you accepted receipt. I do not want to accept again because I do not want to get charged again for the same response. Thanks so much!
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry, but there is no accept here - and if you look there should be a Big check mark in the box where you accept - so I did not get paid. Thank you